Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi guys. I’m stuck on this question ‘tell us about a time where you had a good idea and made it happen’. I feel like I’ve accomplished quite a few things like going abroad for a year on my own and getting an internship there but I’m not sure if this is what it’s asking? I keep thinking of insignificant things and I draft an answer and read it over and realise it sounds so boring and generic!
Obviously you can’t write it for me or give me any ideas but I’d love to see how you would approach this question so I can get a sense of the sort of thing it’s asking for!
Thank you so much in advance!

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi guys. I’m stuck on this question ‘tell us about a time where you had a good idea and made it happen’. I feel like I’ve accomplished quite a few things like going abroad for a year on my own and getting an internship there but I’m not sure if this is what it’s asking? I keep thinking of insignificant things and I draft an answer and read it over and realise it sounds so boring and generic!
Obviously you can’t write it for me or give me any ideas but I’d love to see how you would approach this question so I can get a sense of the sort of thing it’s asking for!

A good idea can be an idea you thought of in a group, the group agreed and the idea was implemented.

Any ideas you introduced during your internship or time abroad or at school/uni, at work?

Perhaps you thought of a way to improve something, simplify something, etc?

It’s best if you have a story then you can use, so you can adopt the STAR approach to talk it through. Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I don’t think this is what the question is asking. It isn’t an achievement, it is something you have come up with an idea to and then achieved. So think about things like problem solving/creativity/ownership rather than doing something.

Reactions: Alice G

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Had so many rejections this season, I cannot get myself to apply to anything else prior to the 31st- had a complete lapse in motivation after a truly shoddy month [unrelated to VS/TC apps]. Is anyone else facing this?

I might just have to wait on the last few apps I am waiting to hear from an then start planning for next years milk round. And obv prepare for the interview of course.

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Had so many rejections this season, I cannot get myself to apply to anything else prior to the 31st- had a complete lapse in motivation after a truly shoddy month [unrelated to VS/TC apps]. Is anyone else facing this?

I might just have to wait on the last few apps I am waiting to hear from an then start planning for next years milk round. And obv prepare for the interview of course.

I feel this! It's okay to take a little break and come back even stronger. There are still a lot of firms that have later deadlines in Feb/March so try looking out for those! You got this! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

if I had a penny for every time this happened to me honestly! It is totally normal and don't allow yourself to think negatively of yourself for this either, this is a really tough process and it has been a really difficult 18 months for me whilst going through the motions of it. I can feel great and empowered somedays and feel like the World is against me the next. It is honestly all character building and will probably stand us in good stead in the end when we are really trainees as we have built that resilience up. Just have faith in the process and should you like to chat please never hesitate to reach out :) It is good to talk and that goes for everyone on this platform, don't battle your feelings alone :)

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
if I had a penny for every time this happened to me honestly! It is totally normal and don't allow yourself to think negatively of yourself for this either, this is a really tough process and it has been a really difficult 18 months for me whilst going through the motions of it. I can feel great and empowered somedays and feel like the World is against me the next. It is honestly all character building and will probably stand us in good stead in the end when we are really trainees as we have built that resilience up. Just have faith in the process and should you like to chat please never hesitate to reach out :) It is good to talk and that goes for everyone on this platform, don't battle your feelings alone :)

I fully feel this. Especially the peaks and troughs of it all! But you are so right about how it is character building.

This platform has been a godsend- can't believe that I found it so late! Everyone here is genuinely wonderful!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I fully feel this. Especially the peaks and troughs of it all! But you are so right about how it is character building.

This platform has been a godsend- can't believe that I found it so late! Everyone here is genuinely wonderful!
I am glad you found us too! It is good to have a strong support system through both good and bad :)

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
I’ve just read this, and am wondering if someone can clarify it for me:
"with magic circle-style backstabbing notably absent among the trainees”
Is that saying very few trainees ditch the firm post-qualification for an NQ role at a MC place?
Much love as always :)

Aleks Owczarska

Future Trainee
Nov 5, 2019
Would be grateful for an opinion on the following:

In answering the question 'what is a business you admire', is it necessary to link it back to the firm? Is it more hinting that I should choose a client of the firm?
In my experience it is good to talk about a business you are genuinely interested in and can show this enthusiasm through your answer. I once spoke about 'Pacific Standard' that is Reese Witherspoon's production company. As long as you have strong arguments it doesn't really matter. Also, think how many people are actually going to talk about Facebook or Microsoft....

Reactions: Jen E C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve just read this, and am wondering if someone can clarify it for me:
"with magic circle-style backstabbing notably absent among the trainees”
Is that saying very few trainees ditch the firm post-qualification for an NQ role at a MC place?
Much love as always :)

No - I don't read that at all. I read that as someone suggesting MC trainees back-stab one another while they are there.

From my experience, this isn't true at all and a really sh*t assumption that this is 1) something that happens at MC firms and 2) doesn't happen at other firms.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    What firms generally have deadlines in Feb/March by any chance? :)

I think it’s important to remember as well that a lot of firm’s direct TCs don’t close until June/July. There will still be networking events running up to then and therefore plenty of opportunity to put in a great application that may lead to a TC without necessarily doing a VS!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.