Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Submitted the video interview last Wednesday but haven't heard since.

Separately, Ashurst pushed back their plans to respond to applications by the end of January. They are currently sorting through Ahead with Ashurst and Summer Vacation scheme applications and will only be getting to direct TC applications later!

May I ask regarding White & Case was this for spring or summer? And when did you apply? :)

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
Does anyone know what to put in Orrick's cover letter? Their other questions pretty much all cover the standard why law, why Orrick, why you, and there's the standard mitigating circumstances section in the form as well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I’m curious to know, how would you approach the answer to “you are a bit old...” question? in a bit of a subtle way not a rude way, as if I got that question I would definitely approach it with a bit of a rude tone and I don’t think that will come along well!

you literally shouldn’t be asked that question! It’s “rude” of them to ask in the first place, not to mention they are bringing the firms name into disrepute.

If it was me, I would just quite confidently say I am not sure why a question around my age is being asked and point out such questions have led to employment tribunals in the past (https://www.agediscrimination.info/case-reports/2018/10/11/james-v-coedffranc-community-council). That or I would point out if age was such a contentious issue of working in a law firm and with people, that law firms would have been dead in the water decades ago given how many people continue to work in the profession up until retirement. Or I would turn it around on them and ask them if either they or anyone one else they have worked with has ever had an issue working with other people in a law firm because of their age.

Any idea that this type of question is asked of you to make you feel uncomfortable is also absurd. If you are trying to put pressure on someone to see how they act, there are far better questions to ask that have no connotation of discrimination attached to them.

I’d love to know who the firm is so I could give the GR team a heads up that their interviewers need some interviewing training

Jay-Lo

Distinguished Member
Jan 21, 2019
you literally shouldn’t be asked that question! It’s “rude” of them to ask in the first place, not to mention they are bringing the firms name into disrepute.

If it was me, I would just quite confidently say I am not sure why a question around my age is being asked and point out such questions have led to employment tribunals in the past (https://www.agediscrimination.info/case-reports/2018/10/11/james-v-coedffranc-community-council). That or I would point out if age was such a contentious issue of working in a law firm and with people, that law firms would have been dead in the water decades ago given how many people continue to work in the profession up until retirement.

Any idea that this type of question is asked of you to make you feel uncomfortable is also absurd. If you are trying to put pressure on someone to see how they act, there are far better questions to ask that have no connotation of discrimination attached to them.

I’d love to know who the firm is so I could give the GR team a heads up that their interviewers need some interviewing training

I think it was probably Jones Day. As my friend recently interviewed with them, and the same question was asked.

Reactions: JayB

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
You don't know that... I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. It's only midday plus wasn't the AC yesterday! Give it some time, I am sure not everyone has received an answer by now.
yeah that is correct but the three other girls on my AC did get calls about an hour ago now with good news and I am just sure I will be facing another rejection. It wouldn't make sense to split the calls up otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.