Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I did my AC there last year and when I asked if my date could be moved they said no cause we only do ACs in January. Then they said that If I wanted they could put me in a waiting list if they decided to run another AC sometime in the future. I also did the Vac Scheme there.
Yeh it does suggest it's more unlikely - but they may have different AC dates this year?

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
I did my AC there last year and when I asked if my date could be moved they said no cause we only do ACs in January. Then they said that If I wanted they could put me in a waiting list if they decided to run another AC sometime in the future. I also did the Vac Scheme there.

Well if someone hasn’t received a rejection, I’m sure they are still being considered. I’m aware majority firms I’ve encountered have had different ACs each year! Your opinion isn’t concrete, but thank you for sharing! :D

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Do you guys know that Travers send partners to interview at specific unis? I think this is in Jan/Feb so I think sifting through the apps so late might have to do with the fact that a lot of spaces are filled by them using this method before they even get to general apps. Just an assumption on my part though that the uni interviews come first, could be incorrect.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Do you guys know that Travers send partners to interview at specific unis? I think this is in Jan/Feb so I think sifting through the apps so late might have to do with the fact that a lot of spaces are filled by them using this method before they even get to general apps. Just an assumption on my part though that the uni interviews come first, could be incorrect.
What do you mean interview at unis? How does that work?

Ben1897

Jan 20, 2020
Shearman & Sterling clearly states that if you have any upcoming internships to state it. It definitely applies to Vacation Schemes too. I would include it, especially if the firms are competing or are in the same category.

If the VS dates at the two firms would clash, then you would need to be careful. You could potentially play it to your favour saying "I got x, but I like your firm more so I would choose you over them" but that's tricky and I'd be cautious with it.

Finally, if the firms are not similar at all, then it is a matter of discretion. To see if they play off of each other well.

Overall, in most cases, I would personally include it.

Thanks for this!

Celine

Standard Member
Nov 22, 2018
What do you mean interview at unis? How does that work?

I don’t know if they’re doing it this year but as far as I’m aware, partners from travers usually visit various unis to conduct the vac scheme interview (since it’s only 30 mins long)

So, people may have not heard back cause grad rec are trying to group people into unis or get a specific number of students before sending invites ( Imo)

Reactions: Demna87

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Please forgive me for asking such a basic question purely for reassurance.... being asked to complete a VRT by Thursday also includes Thursday doesnt it?
Typically yes but check it doesn’t mean the time in which you received the instructions on Thursday so like a full however many 24 hr periods. Always check this in case as it doesn’t look bad on you and can save a really awful miscommunication incidence!

Reactions: Camilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.