Herbert Smith Freehills App

MZ

Esteemed Member
Forum Winner
Oct 7, 2020
Mine were very high for leadership, very high for technical capability, no rating for team (just describes what I'm likely to prefer, which directly contradicts what they said for the other 3), and reasonably high for working style.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Has anyone heard back from their test? How long does it take to get a response if you passed or failed the test?

Hi! I did the late one evening, and within minutes had an automated message from SOVA with a personality report. Approx 24 hours later I received an email from HSF saying my application is under review. At the exact same time I got an email from Brassring saying that i had met the benchmark in the test, my application now under review, will be in touch after deadline.

Hope that’s helpful!

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Just received an email from Herbert Smith Freehills stating my application has been withdrawn because I didn't complete the test in 24 hours and they have no record of it. However I did complete it and was taken to the completion window - not sure why they have no record of this. They said to email asap if there were any tech difficulties, which I have done but feeling quite anxious now on whether they'll even see my email. What should I do?

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
Just received an email from Herbert Smith Freehills stating my application has been withdrawn because I didn't complete the test in 24 hours and they have no record of it. However I did complete it and was taken to the completion window - not sure why they have no record of this. They said to email asap if there were any tech difficulties, which I have done but feeling quite anxious now on whether they'll even see my email. What should I do?

I got the same email last night so I just emailed them saying I had completed the test and attached the report I was sent on completion of the test as evidence and asked them to confirm they had receipt of my test. They replied this morning confirming I had completed the test and to ignore the previous email.

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
I got the same email last night so I just emailed them saying I had completed the test and attached the report I was sent on completion of the test as evidence and asked them to confirm they had receipt of my test. They replied this morning confirming I had completed the test and to ignore the previous email.

That’s so reassuring to know, thank you! However, I didn’t receive any report after I completed my test. The only evidence I have is my internet history

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
That’s so reassuring to know, thank you! However, I didn’t receive any report after I completed my test. The only evidence I have is my internet history

As long as you have contacted them hopefully it should be okay as the issue is on their end not yours. I had a nightmare trying to do the online assessment as the link didn’t work so I think there must be a few issues with the online test in general if I’m honest!

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Try not to panic, I’m sure it will be fine!

Their tests have been a total disaster, the tech does not seem to be reliable at all and it seems almost everyone has had an issue with it. I didn’t get that message from them about not receiving, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes quite widely... are they trialling a new system, or what on earth is going on?

I’d be fairly pleased if they lost my test results, after trying to do it on an old iPhone (because it wouldn’t work on laptop or tablet...) :D as long as I wasn’t penalised!

Reactions: lozza_2

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hi! I did the late one evening, and within minutes had an automated message from SOVA with a personality report. Approx 24 hours later I received an email from HSF saying my application is under review. At the exact same time I got an email from Brassring saying that i had met the benchmark in the test, my application now under review, will be in touch after deadline.

Hope that’s helpful!

Thanks.

It’s been more than 24hrs and I’m still waiting for my results...should I be concerned?

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Thanks.

It’s been more than 24hrs and I’m still waiting for my results...should I be concerned?

Wow their test system seems a total disaster... I would probably message them if I were you, they might have it on their end or if not might be able to check with the tech company? You should have had something by now, at least just the SOVA email.

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Thanks.

Hey - I received my test results within 2 minutes of completion and passed, someone else received 1 week later and passed, I don't think you should worry at all as seems to really vary (not sure why though)

Last edited:

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hey - i I received my test results within 2 minutes of completion and passed, someone else received 1 week later and passed, I don't think you should worry at all as seems to really varies (not sure why though)

Seconded! Don’t worry about what others have done, since this was 7 days after the 4th December deadline, I would imagine they’ve been inundated with applications and tests all at the same time. Also refresh your junk folder in case it’s been sent there!

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Agree with everyone who has said don't worry. You'd be surprised how many manual processes there are when it comes to Grad Rec e.g. recruiters having to send out tests manually to applicants, etc.

I received my answers within 24 hours but I know others who have received theirs after 1 hour and others who have received their days later. And these were for both passes and failures. There was no indication that the sooner you got it mean X.

Stay optimistic and get applying to other places!

RubySmithers

Star Member
    Jun 25, 2020
    Hey guys, does anyone know if the 3 tests are equally weighted?

I got my feedback report, having completed the test, and I scored very high, and reasonably high, for all the skills/capabilities tested. Not sure how well I did on the VR test though.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Did anyone receive any other ratings in the feedback report other than reasonably high or very high? For 'contributes to the team's success' I didn't get a rating at all lol

I received reasonably high for 2, very high for 1 and I also received no rating at all for 1 (working styles). Is this concerning?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.