Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

On this question, I was planning to use this section to explain why I am attracted to Hogan Lovells as none of the other application questions (competency questions) allow me to tailor my answer to the firm. Is this the wrong approach to take - should I be telling them instead why they should hire me rather than me telling them why I want to work for them?

Thank you in advance!

I suspect the other questions are going to show of the reasons why someone should hire you, and therefor Ethan would be unnecessary repetition

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

On this question, I was planning to use this section to explain why I am attracted to Hogan Lovells as none of the other application questions (competency questions) allow me to tailor my answer to the firm. Is this the wrong approach to take - should I be telling them instead why they should hire me rather than me telling them why I want to work for them?

Thank you in advance!

Yes, I'd focus this answer on why they should hire you. You can make a few links to Hogan Lovells if you'd like, but I wouldn't use it to answer 'why Hogan Lovells?' as that wouldn't be answering the question.

I wouldn't worry about the fact that none of the other questions have asked 'why Hogan Lovells?' directly, the firm has intentionally focused on competency questions in their application form.

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Also, which of the questions, if any, do you think it is most appropriate to relate to HL?

The final question, but only if it aligns with your actual answer to the question (why you stand out from the crowd). There's no need to link any of the competency questions to Hogan Lovells.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi, may I just confirm that events like Bright Network's Internship Experience does not fall under the category of 'Open Days, voluntary work and employer presentations relevant to your application'? Thank you :)

If it is a virtual internship where you only did simulations or listened into talks, put it in this section. If it was an internship where you were involved in actual client work, then put it in your work experience section.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    If it is a virtual internship where you only did simulations or listened into talks, put it in this section. If it was an internship where you were involved in actual client work, then put it in your work experience section.
    Hi Jessica, should we put work experience where we were involved in actual client work but not paid for it also in the work experience section? It says 'Please list your paid work experience in chronological order, most recent first.' on the work exp page

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    also, what do I put for this question: "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?" Can I write down my positions of responsibility right now? and also the details of my year abroad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, should we put work experience where we were involved in actual client work but not paid for it also in the work experience section? It says 'Please list your paid work experience in chronological order, most recent first.' on the work exp page

In this instance, where it explictly states paid work experience, then no. Normally I would say unpaid work experience where you have actual responsibilities to deliver work is fine to put in a work experience section. But this is different given the specific nature of what they are asking you to provide.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    also, what do I put for this question: "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?" Can I write down my positions of responsibility right now? and also the details of my year abroad

Will those things make you stand out? If so and you haven't been able to include them elsewhere, then it could be an appropriate section to include these matters.

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I have just attended a virtual session with Hogan Lovells and I thought I can share some information.

Everyone is sent a WG Test and you need 80 percentile or above for your application to be reviewed by GR. If you failed the test, you will be notified almost immediately. GR advised not to use bullet points in the work experience section. All law fairs, events, presentations, Inside Sherpa schemes to be included in the voluntary experience section. If you had an unpaid experience, but you were doing real-life work and it lasted at least a couple of weeks, you can include it in the work experience section. At the moment they are only reviewing the applications for the winter vacation scheme and they will only start reviewing the summer vacation apps and direct contact apps once the winter vac scheme has started (for that reason they also mentioned not to worry if you had applied for the summer scheme or the direct TC and you have not received a WG Test). Additionally, they said that if there are 8 amazing candidates and only 7 places for the winter vac scheme left on the last assessment day, then someone could just be asked to move to the summer vac scheme. (this was just an example they gave.)

I hope that someone will find this useful.

Thanks a lot!

80 percentile is very high...

LLawR

Standard Member
    Sep 8, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I have just attended a virtual session with Hogan Lovells and I thought I can share some information.

Everyone is sent a WG Test and you need 80 percentile or above for your application to be reviewed by GR. If you failed the test, you will be notified almost immediately. GR advised not to use bullet points in the work experience section. All law fairs, events, presentations, Inside Sherpa schemes to be included in the voluntary experience section. If you had an unpaid experience, but you were doing real-life work and it lasted at least a couple of weeks, you can include it in the work experience section. At the moment they are only reviewing the applications for the winter vacation scheme and they will only start reviewing the summer vacation apps and direct contact apps once the winter vac scheme has started (for that reason they also mentioned not to worry if you had applied for the summer scheme or the direct TC and you have not received a WG Test). Additionally, they said that if there are 8 amazing candidates and only 7 places for the winter vac scheme left on the last assessment day, then someone could just be asked to move to the summer vac scheme. (this was just an example they gave.)

I hope that someone will find this useful.
    Thanks a lot for this! Would that mean that you've reached the 80 percentile if you haven't been notified of failing the test immediately? Or does it only mean that you've reached the pass mark?

CK74

Sep 14, 2020
    Hi everyone,
    Does anyone happen to have the Hogan Lovells application questions for this year to hand? I'm currently completing a couple of others so don't want to properly start HL quite yet, but would like to start having a think about my answers!
    Thanks! :)

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Hi everyone,
    Does anyone happen to have the Hogan Lovells application questions for this year to hand? I'm currently completing a couple of others so don't want to properly start HL quite yet, but would like to start having a think about my answers!
    You can find the questions on apply4law without sending the application/triggering the WG invite :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,
    1. We are a global firm that works together with mutual respect and collegiality. Describe a time when you have enjoyed collaborating with people from different cultures and backgrounds or with different personalities. What made the experience so enjoyable? (Max. 250 words)
    2. We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people’s expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments? (Max. 250 words)
    3. Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit. (Max. 250 words)
    4. Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?

CK74

Sep 14, 2020
    You can find the questions on apply4law without sending the application/triggering the WG invite :)

1. We are a global firm that works together with mutual respect and collegiality. Describe a time when you have enjoyed collaborating with people from different cultures and backgrounds or with different personalities. What made the experience so enjoyable? (Max. 250 words)
    2. We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people’s expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments? (Max. 250 words)
    3. Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit. (Max. 250 words)
    4. Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?

Thank you very much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.