How do I make my training contract applications stand out?

taneshS

Star Member
Future Trainee
Feb 26, 2018
Hi I just realised I'm going to have a really short time frame for training contract applications this year and so I need to preparing now. Do you have some tips on what I can do to make my training contract application stand out? I have admittedly been applying for a long time but I haven't really nailed it down yet

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I would highlight a few things from the applications we review. I can go into a bit more detail after if you want.

The ones that stand out are easy to read. They don't waffle or use flowery language. Each sentence has a reason for being there.

I'm never left wondering whether an applicant understands a firm or really wants to be a commercial lawyer. Their reasons are convincing because they're specific and backed up. In fact, they back everything up with evidence and not by using adjectives.

They can make their involvement in a sports team or university society - something that hundreds of other students share - sound very impressive. That's because they pick out the most important activities they did and structure the answer to highlight what they achieved. They sell it well.

JoshMason

Mar 2, 2018
    I would highlight a few things from the applications we review. I can go into a bit more detail after if you want.

The ones that stand out are easy to read. They don't waffle or use flowery language. Each sentence has a reason for being there.

I'm never left wondering whether an applicant understands a firm or really wants to be a commercial lawyer. Their reasons are convincing because they're specific and backed up. In fact, they back everything up with evidence and not by using adjectives.

They can make their involvement in a sports team or university society - something that hundreds of other students share - sound very impressive. That's because they pick out the most important activities they did and structure the answer to highlight what they achieved. They sell it well.

Thanks for this, what do you mean by not using adjectives to back things up?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks for this, what do you mean by not using adjectives to back things up?

You may have heard of the phrase "show, don't tell". That's what I mean.

In an application form, if you just write that you are good at managing your time under pressure, it's not telling a recruiter much. They have no way of knowing whether it's true.

On the other hand, if you write about how you prioritised the most important issue each day and made use of a to-do list to stay on top of things before a conference, then they have proof. This is a much more convincing way of presenting your qualities.

Reactions: Salma

JoshMason

Mar 2, 2018
    You may have heard of the phrase "show, don't tell". That's what I mean.

In an application form, if you just write that you are good at managing your time under pressure, it's not telling a recruiter much. They have no way of knowing whether it's true.

On the other hand, if you write about how you prioritised the most important issue each day and made use of a to-do list to stay on top of things before a conference, then they have proof. This is a much more convincing way of presenting your qualities.

Aha ok thanks, I've been talking about my extra curriculars and then the skills I gained (rather than focusing on what I actually did) so I'll change that up. Also how would you usually end a question like that? Like if the question asks you to talk about working under pressure, I sometimes end with what I've learned but I'm never really sure if that's the best way.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Aha ok thanks, I've been talking about my extra curriculars and then the skills I gained (rather than focusing on what I actually did) so I'll change that up. Also how would you usually end a question like that? Like if the question asks you to talk about working under pressure, I sometimes end with what I've learned but I'm never really sure if that's the best way.

I find the best answers end with outcomes/results, ideally something that's quantifiable like how much money you raised or how many people joined. That said, not all examples lend themselves to that kind of answer so then I'd end with what you learned.

Reactions: taneshS

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi I just realised I'm going to have a really short time frame for training contract applications this year and so I need to preparing now. Do you have some tips on what I can do to make them stand out?

One thing that's often missed - try to use the active voice in your application. It's a tiny change but it makes a big difference to a lot of applications (it makes it easier to read, more personal and more direct).

e.g. "The Commercial Law Society was set up by me" ---> "I set up the Commercial Law Society"

Reactions: taneshS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.