How to avoid overlap in Ashurst question?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Does anyone have any advice on how to approach the "why us?" part of Ashurst covering letter? As the application also asks "How is Ashurst different to the other firms you have applied to? (250 words max)*" , which seems to overlap.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    It’s a good question. I’d say the second question is more about identifying what differentiates Ashurst, whereas in your cover letter, you’ll be drilling down on why you are personally applying to the firm.

You’re right though, there is likely to be some overlap, so you may want to answer the application question first. I’ve seen a fair few Ashurst applications that only briefly reference to the firm - as it has been covered in the second question.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Just went through my successful Ashurst app from last cycle, and I did pretty much what Jaysen described. In the cover letter, I talked more about the points that I thought would directly influence a training contract there. My answer to the second question covered slightly more tangential points about the firm’s broader strategy.

Reactions: Jai C.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.