I feel like I've been writing applications and cover letters all wrong for Vacation Schemes

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
For my vacation scheme applications and cover letters, when I was writing the parts about 'why this firm', I have always mentioned things like training structure, the international nature of the firm, the pro bono work etc. However, none of those things are really applicable to a vacation scheme, are they? I wont be doing any pro bono work in a VS, or working on international deals, or even 'training'.

It is true that those things are why I am interested in 'that firm', but do you have to craft your answers in such a way that they are applicable specifically to a VS, because I feel like the above are more applicable to a training contract.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Hey, I'm sure the amazing future trainees on the forum and others can give you better advice but I don't think you have to worry! I've always approached any applications as wanting to be a trainee at that firm rather than a vac schemer and therefore my answers are always like how you're currently answering them. I've been pretty ok so far with this approach having had a majority of my apps pass the first stage.

There's also very little you can say about vac schemes anyway - I mean, you can hardly talk about the trip to the London eye some firms do during their schemes in your application!

Reactions: Alice G and Kola

Gracey

Standard Member
Dec 19, 2020
For my vacation scheme applications and cover letters, when I was writing the parts about 'why this firm', I have always mentioned things like training structure, the international nature of the firm, the pro bono work etc. However, none of those things are really applicable to a vacation scheme, are they? I wont be doing any pro bono work in a VS, or working on international deals, or even 'training'.

It is true that those things are why I am interested in 'that firm', but do you have to craft your answers in such a way that they are applicable specifically to a VS, because I feel like the above are more applicable to a training contract.
Hi Kola - I’m a future trainee at a magic circle firm and from the sounds of it, you’re heading in the right direction. I would recommend not focusing too much on pro-Bono work as firms want to see you have a solid interest in their fee-earning work. However, all of the other factors you’re speaking about sound just like the type of things you need to be including. Depending on the firms you’re applying to, you may actually get asked to help on an international deal. Granted you might only be entrusted to draft a clause or two in a contract, but you could still have some sort of involvement. I definitely would suggest that you keep going because it sounds like you’re doing great. Remember, the vac scheme is attended in hopes of getting a TC so your cover letter will still be quite similar to someone writing a TC application. I hope this helps!

Reactions: yj.jl, Alice G and Kola

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hiya,

Completely agree with the comments above, my general approach to writing my applications and cover letters is to focus the training contract. I think unless this is explicitly stated in the app that you should address it with specific regard to a vacation scheme, you are on the right track,

Best of luck! ☺️

Reactions: Kola

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hi Kola - I’m a future trainee at a magic circle firm and from the sounds of it, you’re heading in the right direction. I would recommend not focusing too much on pro-Bono work as firms want to see you have a solid interest in their fee-earning work. However, all of the other factors you’re speaking about sound just like the type of things you need to be including. Depending on the firms you’re applying to, you may actually get asked to help on an international deal. Granted you might only be entrusted to draft a clause or two in a contract, but you could still have some sort of involvement. I definitely would suggest that you keep going because it sounds like you’re doing great. Remember, the vac scheme is attended in hopes of getting a TC so your cover letter will still be quite similar to someone writing a TC application. I hope this helps!

Thanks Gracey! This does help ease my concerns. I guess what I am really asking is: should there be any difference between how one answers TC 'why this firm' questions and VS 'why this firm' questions? And if so, what are the differences?

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks Gracey! This does help ease my concerns. I guess what I am really asking is: should there be any difference between how one answers TC 'why this firm' questions and VS 'why this firm' questions? And if so, what are the differences?
Hi @Kola - there is no difference at all - whether it is a vac scheme or direct TC app, you just need to answer the questions truthfully and in a way that really conveys your motivations.

Reactions: Kola and Naomi U

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.