Insight evening question help

rhyu96

Mar 18, 2018
Hi all, :)

I'm currently trying to answer the following question for an insight evening: Why do you want to attend an insight evening with us and why do you feel we should offer you a place?

I'm thinking of writing about what interests me about the firm/ wanting to learn more about the firm's culture and my experiences that are relevant to the firm - but not sure if this is enough for this question. I also want to apply for a training contract at this firm - so wondering how I can avoid being repetitive with the reasons for applying to the firm.

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to go about answering this question, thanks a lot in advance!

Reactions: Nicole

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018

I'm currently trying to answer the following question for an insight evening: Why do you want to attend an insight evening with us and why do you feel we should offer you a place?

I'm thinking of writing about what interests me about the firm/ wanting to learn more about the firm's culture and my experiences that are relevant to the firm - but not sure if this is enough for this question. I also want to apply for a training contract at this firm - so wondering how I can avoid being repetitive with the reasons for applying to the firm.

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to go about answering this question, thanks a lot in advance!

Hi! I've had the same question for a couple of open days before. When you say insight evening, is that similar to an open day type event?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018

Hey! I think your points are fine. I spoke about the same thing for my open day applications and it seeemed to work because I got the place ;)

Reactions: rhyu96

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Yes, i think it's pretty similar - there will be a presentation on the firm's practice areas, trainee Q&A and advice on how to apply successfully.

Cool that should be the same then. I used to write in a similar way to my vacation scheme applications and about why I would be a good bit for a firm. I didn't realise until later that that wasn't the best approach and like you mentioned it's a bit of a nightmare when trying to then do an application after. One of the people here pointed out that it isn't "why are you applying to this firm" but "why are you applying to an open day at the firm" and that whilst there are some similarities, there's a reason the wording is different. So in your case I think it's good to write about what interests you about the firm but also why you want to attend the insight day e.g. do you want to meet people at the firm or get a feel for what the firm is like.

I think the second bit would be more similar to a normal application but you can write about more areas. It's not just asking about your extra-curriculars but you could include things like awards, personal achievements or even reasons why you're interested in their practice area based on work experience etc

• ℹ️
Reactions: rhyu96 and Salma

rhyu96

Mar 18, 2018
Cool that should be the same then. I used to write in a similar way to my vacation scheme applications and about why I would be a good bit for a firm. I didn't realise until later that that wasn't the best approach and like you mentioned it's a bit of a nightmare when trying to then do an application after. One of the people here pointed out that it isn't "why are you applying to this firm" but "why are you applying to an open day at the firm" and that whilst there are some similarities, there's a reason the wording is different. So in your case I think it's good to write about what interests you about the firm but also why you want to attend the insight day e.g. do you want to meet people at the firm or get a feel for what the firm is like.

I think the second bit would be more similar to a normal application but you can write about more areas. It's not just asking about your extra-curriculars but you could include things like awards, personal achievements or even reasons why you're interested in their practice area based on work experience etc
Thank you, that's really helpful - i'll take these points into account in structuring my answer. :)

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
All good advice above. I would just add that it helps to be as clear as possible when you explain why you're applying. So if you want to learn more about the firm's culture, think about what that means to you - like MightyMoe said it could be to meet trainees and find out more about the training programme.

Reactions: rhyu96

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
All good advice above. I would just add that it helps to be as clear as possible when you explain why you're applying. So if you want to learn more about the firm's culture, think about what that means to you - like MightyMoe said it could be to meet trainees and find out more about the training programme.

I agree so for example if it was a JD open day application, you could mention that you want to learn more about the non-rotataional seat structure and to find out if it is a right fit for you.

Reactions: rhyu96 and Nicole

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.