Looking for inspiration

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi All - to any candidates who took a while to get passed the application stage - do you have anything inspiring to tell? Looking for some inspiration as starting to lose the will after applying for a while now.

Thank you.

Reactions: futuretrainee2024

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Hey, I am so sorry to hear you are in this position. I can tell you I was in your exact same shoes last cycle. I made applications to 12 firms (vs and tc) and did not get past application stage even once. This cycle, I got test invites from cms and akin making those two applications the only ones where I progressed passed the initial hurdle and I have made 11 applications and I’m waiting to hear back from 3 firms. I won’t say the normal things about believing in yourself and all the standard quotes which you will need to succeed in this process, what I would say is to self introspect and ask yourself, ’Am I communicating my answers clearly and concisely’ whether it be for ‘why commercial law’ or ‘why this firm’. This is something I have realised through this forum and TCLA in general. I would recommend reading the blogs which @Jaysen wrote on the TCLA website and he makes a very important point about improving your writing skills when communicating your motivations. Your persistence will eventually get you the outcome you want. But in some cases that can take time. This advice is what has helped me fight my inner demons and is what keeps me going. I’m sure if you have this mindset, you can achieve your goals and don’t worry about the results. Just focus on the process. It will happen. I wish you all the best

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey, I am so sorry to hear you are in this position. I can tell you I was in your exact same shoes last cycle. I made applications to 12 firms (vs and tc) and did not get past application stage even once. This cycle, I got test invites from cms and akin making those two applications the only ones where I progressed passed the initial hurdle and I have made 11 applications and I’m waiting to hear back from 3 firms. I won’t say the normal things about believing in yourself and all the standard quotes which you will need to succeed in this process, what I would say is to self introspect and ask yourself, ’Am I communicating my answers clearly and concisely’ whether it be for ‘why commercial law’ or ‘why this firm’. This is something I have realised through this forum and TCLA in general. I would recommend reading the blogs which @Jaysen wrote on the TCLA website and he makes a very important point about improving your writing skills when communicating your motivations. Your persistence will eventually get you the outcome you want. But in some cases that can take time. This advice is what has helped me fight my inner demons and is what keeps me going. I’m sure if you have this mindset, you can achieve your goals and don’t worry about the results. Just focus on the process. It will happen. I wish you all the best
Thank you so much @ADKM for providing such a reassuring message to @TCinpipeline and for also sharing your experience which is not always easy. I wanted to add that many people find themselves in this situation and me included, I had to wait for my 13th application to see some results last year and that made me apply to 10 more applications after all those rejections and I made it to the other side getting a training contract from the last firm I applied to which is surreal! I do think that it is important to follow your own passions and dreams, irrespective of the obstacles on your journey! I hope you keep believing in your dreams and in yourself and I am sure all these efforts will pay off one day!!

Reactions: TCinpipeline

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.