Low grades in two-three subjects, primarily as those Profs are generally known for marking low in my University. Should I explain this in my TC App?

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Hello! :D

I am an international student currently studying a law degree outside UK. I was planning to apply for TC Apps in my final year. While I have decent academics throughout (marks equivalent to 2:1 in most subjects), there are a couple subjects where I have gotten marks in the range of 40-50.

While there are a few people who have scored better of course, the reason for these low grades is primarily that the teachers of those subjects are known to mark very stringently- more than 50 percent of the class received marks in the range of 40-50 in those subjects. However, barring these couple of subjects, I have scored between 65-70 in most subjects. My overall percentage would come to 2:1.

Should I explain this reason somewhere in my applications? With this academic record, are there any firms I should avoid applying to? Thanks :)

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
if you're averaging 65-70 you'll be fine anyway.

I'm from a UK uni that is notoriously harsh on marking (they even sent out a letter to firms asking them to account for this). I'd probably save any explanations for mitigating circumstances you had, but also maybe provide an academic reference to discuss your lower marks with the firms if needed.

I'm not a graduate recruitment expert tho so there's people who can provide a much better answer on here :)

Reactions: born&raised

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I am an international student currently studying a law degree outside UK. I was planning to apply for TC Apps in my final year. While I have decent academics throughout (marks equivalent to 2:1 in most subjects), there are a couple subjects where I have gotten marks in the range of 40-50.

While there are a few people who have scored better of course, the reason for these low grades is primarily that the teachers of those subjects are known to mark very stringently- more than 50 percent of the class received marks in the range of 40-50 in those subjects. However, barring these couple of subjects, I have scored between 65-70 in most subjects. My overall percentage would come to 2:1.

Should I explain this reason somewhere in my applications? With this academic record, are there any firms I should avoid applying to? Thanks :)
Unfortunately this is something that wouldn’t be appropriate to detail on an application form. It can be seen as trying to shift the blame on to someone else, and there is little way for a recruiter to check whether it is true or not.

One way around it is to say where you were in the cohort. Ask the university to provide details of which percentile you were in for that module when compared to your cohort. You could then say in an extra information section, something like “Despite the lower grades, my X and Y module results were in the top 10% of my student cohort”

That then is just showing the achievement rather than trying to blame academics for harsh marking and is something that is factually correct/not open to personal opinion.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Unfortunately this is something that wouldn’t be appropriate to detail on an application form. It can be seen as trying to shift the blame on to someone else, and there is little way for a recruiter to check whether it is true or not.

One way around it is to say where you were in the cohort. Ask the university to provide details of which percentile you were in for that module when compared to your cohort. You could then say in an extra information section, something like “Despite the lower grades, my X and Y module results were in the top 10% of my student cohort”

That then is just showing the achievement rather than trying to blame academics for harsh marking and is something that is factually correct/not open to personal opinion.
Completely agree with @Jessica Booker! I'd recommend you to also look out for firms that place a special emphasis on grades in certain subjects like Tort, Property- if your grades are low in these core legal subjects then it may negatively impact your application depending on the firm's recruitment policy. Reach out to firms you're interested in applying to and confirm if they have requirements for grades in these subjects in case you are concerned about this.

I'd also like to add that I too secured my TC as an international applicant (although I studied in the UK) so please do feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the application process 😇

Reactions: born&raised

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.