LPC - doing slighty worse in the electives than the core modules

duophonic

Standard Member
Apr 27, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a perhaps unusual question that I can't see posted anywhere, wondering if anybody knows this or can share any articles which might cover this?

Long story short, I've finished the LPC and, I'm very happy to say, I've got a Distinction (confetti emoji goes here!)
I got Distinctions for all my core modules, and for my M&A elective.
However, for Commercial Disputes and IP I got a Commendation for both (62% and 66% respectively).

I know that this is still a really good score, and I'm delighted with it, truth be told.

I'm wondering, however: will firms think less of me for this when applying for TCs etc?
I recall reading/hearing how firms like "consistency" with grades.
Also, as I'm very keen on an IP seat, and fear this may count against me.

Perhaps this is a rather niche question, hence I can't seem to find an answer here or online, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this they would be able to share?

Many thanks and happy Friday!

D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a perhaps unusual question that I can't see posted anywhere, wondering if anybody knows this or can share any articles which might cover this?

Long story short, I've finished the LPC and, I'm very happy to say, I've got a Distinction (confetti emoji goes here!)
I got Distinctions for all my core modules, and for my M&A elective.
However, for Commercial Disputes and IP I got a Commendation for both (62% and 66% respectively).

I know that this is still a really good score, and I'm delighted with it, truth be told.

I'm wondering, however: will firms think less of me for this when applying for TCs etc?
I recall reading/hearing how firms like "consistency" with grades.
Also, as I'm very keen on an IP seat, and fear this may count against me.

Perhaps this is a rather niche question, hence I can't seem to find an answer here or online, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this they would be able to share?

Many thanks and happy Friday!

D
Consistency tends to be more with your undergraduate degree if anything. The GDL and LPC tend to be looked at slightly differently.

I don’t think a commendation in an IP module is going to stop you getting an IP seat though.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.