LPC or LLM

S

selfcarequeenzzz1

Hi !!

I am yet to secure a TC but am planning to self-fund the LPC next year. I am currently completing the GDL.

I want to stay with Ulaw.

Would it be advised to do the LPC straight? Or add an LLM or MSc? Is this extra masters expected by firms?

I am a bit concerned with the extra workload and wondered if the LPC was enough? I feel less nervous as I can easily swap in my first few weeks too with Ulaw!!

What LPC did everyone else do?

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
I think most firms ask their trainees to do the MSc, but dont think it would take a big difference.

Re workload, at Ulaw the MSc is just two additional essays that dont seem to clash with exams - so really isnt that much more in terms of work.

And the MSc is business-focused, so may help with the commercial awareness you'll have to demonstrate at a TC AC/interview. :)

Reactions: selfcarequeenzzz1

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I'm currently at ULaw doing the LPC MSc on a part time basis whilst working full time - I'm in the second year.

Honestly the additional work load is not much at all for the MSc its two extra essays of 3000 words. 1 in year 1 or halfway through the course if full time and the case study essay at the end. For the LLM its an additional elective so 1 more exam and module in the last semester and then 1 essay at the end.

As with the above post I'd agree that the MSc law and business module will definitely help with commercial awareness if you are still seeking a TC.

I didn't have to do the MSc as I have a full fee scholarship but as it didn't cost anymore and was not much more work I thought why not.

S

selfcarequeenzzz1

I think most firms ask their trainees to do the MSc, but dont think it would take a big difference.

Re workload, at Ulaw the MSc is just two additional essays that dont seem to clash with exams - so really isnt that much more in terms of work.

And the MSc is business-focused, so may help with the commercial awareness you'll have to demonstrate at a TC AC/interview. :)
Thank you for your reply! Do you find the MSc to have a lot of maths involved?

S

selfcarequeenzzz1

I'm currently at ULaw doing the LPC MSc on a part time basis whilst working full time - I'm in the second year.

Honestly the additional work load is not much at all for the MSc its two extra essays of 3000 words. 1 in year 1 or halfway through the course if full time and the case study essay at the end. For the LLM its an additional elective so 1 more exam and module in the last semester and then 1 essay at the end.

As with the above post I'd agree that the MSc law and business module will definitely help with commercial awareness if you are still seeking a TC.

I didn't have to do the MSc as I have a full fee scholarship but as it didn't cost anymore and was not much more work I thought why not.
Hey! Thank you for your reply! Do you find the MSc to have a lot of maths in it?

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Hey! Thank you for your reply! Do you find the MSc to have a lot of maths in it?
Not huge amounts, a couple of the workshops for the Law & Business module had some maths in it and then the assignment but it wasn't super complex maths. No more or no more complex than you'd need to be able to do anyway for solicitors accounts which is a core exam for the LPC.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Thank you for your reply! Do you find the MSc to have a lot of maths involved?
No problem - there are two Workshops in which you are expected to calculate ratios - but you then go through these in a group.
And as the MSc is assessed on two essays (in which you have over a month to complete each) - you wont do maths in an exam for the MSc modules.

As the post above has said - the most maths on the LPC is in Solicitor Accounts, Wills (inheritance tax) and Business Law and Practice (Business Accounts and Tax).

Depending on your electives, there may be some maths later on too.

Although it's not that bad - most people on the course havent done any maths since their GCSEs and get through it ok. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.