MA Law conversion hopeful but with poor A levels, wasting my time?

Ocooper99

May 15, 2022
I recently graduated with a first class degree in English Literature and History from a RG university. I’ve long had an interest in studying law and even wrote my UG dissertation on British legal history. However, I have poor a levels (ABD). I’ve had mixed responses on whether these A levels might hinder me in my pursuit of a career as a solicitor. I would hate to spend extra money to further my studies, only to be blocked off from success because of exams I took when I was 18 years old. I had excellent GCSEs prior to my A levels. I’m becoming increasingly worried that a small blip on my academic record may haunt my legal career for the rest of my life. Some clarity on whether my pursuit is worth it would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I recently graduated with a first class degree in English Literature and History from a RG university. I’ve long had an interest in studying law and even wrote my UG dissertation on British legal history. However, I have poor a levels (ABD). I’ve had mixed responses on whether these A levels might hinder me in my pursuit of a career as a solicitor. I would hate to spend extra money to further my studies, only to be blocked off from success because of exams I took when I was 18 years old. I had excellent GCSEs prior to my A levels. I’m becoming increasingly worried that a small blip on my academic record may haunt my legal career for the rest of my life. Some clarity on whether my pursuit is worth it would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
Do you have any extenuating circumstances to your A-level grades? And are your Individual modules grades across your undergraduate degree mainly 2.1s or above?

Ocooper99

May 15, 2022
Do you have any extenuating circumstances to your A-level grades? And are your Individual modules grades across your undergraduate degree mainly 2.1s or above?
For the D subject, the teaching was generally poor. We constantly had supply teachers and the whole thing was a shambles. We were teaching ourselves at some points. I have other another example of an extenuating circumstance, but the evidence I have for it is for 2019 (I sat my exams in the summer of 2018). All my module grades are very high 2:1s with some in the first class range, resulting in the first class classification

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the D subject, the teaching was generally poor. We constantly had supply teachers and the whole thing was a shambles. We were teaching ourselves at some points. I have other another example of an extenuating circumstance, but the evidence I have for it is for 2019 (I sat my exams in the summer of 2018). All my module grades are very high 2:1s with some in the first class range, resulting in the first class classification
Would the school or a teacher be able to verify the circumstances related to the teaching standards?

If so, you could claim the extentuating circumstances. Unfortunately without any proof/verification, it’s very difficult for a recruiter to understand how it may have impacted your grades. However, in your circumstances, it sounds like this is one blip in an otherwise excellent academic record and therefore might be seen as such and taken onboard.

There are an increasing number of firms who do not have any A-level criteria, and so no don’t think your grades will limit you anyway.

However, my advice is to start applying before you commit to the PGDL and see how you get on with vacation scheme and direct TC applications. You could always start a PGDL course in January/February rather than September and then you can make a judgement based on how your initial set of applications work out as to whether to invest into the PGDL.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.