Gareth Sloman

Standard Member
Jan 17, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm working on a training contract application to Paul Hastings and I'm having a bit of trouble with one of the questions. The question is 'Why are your skills/attributes suited to a career at Paul Hastings? Why should we offer you a Training Contract?'

On the surface, it seems fairly straight forward but after thinking about it, its a little more difficult than it appears.

I thought about highlighting a few of the firm's standout characteristics and explaining why certain skills I have developed would be suitable and relate to their firm - and then evidencing these skills with things I've done. For example, the firm executes many complex multijurisdictional transactions. Therefore, organisation skills are needed to keep up with legal developments and to be able to manage and prioritise heavy, complicated caseloads. I would then back up my organisational skills with something I've done and then hopefully I would have covered the 'why are my skills suited' part of the question.

I'm pretty lost on how to tackle the 'why should we offer you a training contract' part of the question.

To add to the difficulty, you only get 200 words!

Any advice with be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone,

I'm working on a training contract application to Paul Hastings and I'm having a bit of trouble with one of the questions. The question is 'Why are your skills/attributes suited to a career at Paul Hastings? Why should we offer you a Training Contract?'

On the surface, it seems fairly straight forward but after thinking about it, its a little more difficult than it appears.

I thought about highlighting a few of the firm's standout characteristics and explaining why certain skills I have developed would be suitable and relate to their firm - and then evidencing these skills with things I've done. For example, the firm executes many complex multijurisdictional transactions. Therefore, organisation skills are needed to keep up with legal developments and to be able to manage and prioritise heavy, complicated caseloads. I would then back up my organisational skills with something I've done and then hopefully I would have covered the 'why are my skills suited' part of the question.

I'm pretty lost on how to tackle the 'why should we offer you a training contract' part of the question.

To add to the difficulty, you only get 200 words!

Any advice with be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi Gareth,

It's a tricky question. It may help to think of your answer as similar to the last "Why me?" paragraph you would normally write in a cover letter. You just want to tie it further to Paul Hastings.

I like the general strategy, just be sure to be specific to Paul Hastings in your example. That doesn't necessarily mean giving an example of a deal (I think it's better without), but you might want to go further than "complex multi-jurisdictional transactions". Use what you know about Paul Hastings to help you e.g., What kind of deals does Paul Hastings advise on? Are they transactions at the top end of the legal market? Which markets?

I also prefer it when candidates lead with themselves and their experiences e.g., "I will use my organisation skills to manage and prioritise heavy, complicated caseloads." I think this comes across better than explaining why organisation skills are generally important for lawyers first.

The second part of the question is closely connected to the first. When you write about the skills/attributes that make you suitable, you are basically making a pitch for why you should be offered a training contract. I would still tackle the second part directly, but you can use what you've written in the first part to justify your answer. You can also add what you think is your USP e.g., do you have lots of legal experience? Are you a career changer that can bring his entrepreneurial experience? Are you from a science background, which means you can add a unique perspective?

• 🏆
    Reactions: Anita, Gareth Sloman and AJ

Gareth Sloman

Standard Member
    Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jeysen,

I have written my answer. I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should write something like 'This is why I should be offered a training contract.' when answering the second part of the question. I feel as though it could come across as quite forward and abrupt but, on the other hand, it makes it absolutely clear that I've answered that part of the question.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Gareth.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jeysen,

I have written my answer. I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should write something like 'This is why I should be offered a training contract.' when answering the second part of the question. I feel as though it could come across as quite forward and abrupt but, on the other hand, it makes it absolutely clear that I've answered that part of the question.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Gareth.

Yep it's good to use phrasing like that to demonstrate you've answered the second part of the question. You can add the words: 'I believe' to make it a little less forward.

Reactions: Gareth Sloman

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.