Prior knowledge required for an AC?

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
I am trying to prepare for an an AC but feel like I have so much to learn before I'm ready. I have nailed my motivational and competency questions and am confident in answering almost anything on this. However, to what degree do I need to understand practice areas to participate well in a case study? For example, should I understand the basic principles of private equity, litigation etc etc.

With limited time to prepare, where do you recommend I allocate my time in preparation?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I am trying to prepare for an an AC but feel like I have so much to learn before I'm ready. I have nailed my motivational and competency questions and am confident in answering almost anything on this. However, to what degree do I need to understand practice areas to participate well in a case study? For example, should I understand the basic principles of private equity, litigation etc etc.

With limited time to prepare, where do you recommend I allocate my time in preparation?
Hey @Apple,

I would say that a basic understanding of the strong practice areas of the firm you are applying to is important, especially for you. You might get a question regarding your favourite practice area and why, so a basic understanding of them would allow you to respond in an exhaustive and interesting way.

I think that I would focus on understanding what private equity, litigation, M&A actually mean, and you can do this by looking at the firms' websites, looking for information online and on youtube (there are various youtube videos around this which were very helpful whenI applied!) and you can also use the resources made available from TCLA. As a gold and premium member, which I think you are, you have access to online courses around this, so I would advise you to make the most of them as they are very useful!

I understand that you are under time constraint, so I would recommend spending a day or two just learning about the differences amongst practice areas and try to understand which one you could like and the reasons why.

I hope this is useful and good luck on your interview!

Reactions: Apple

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Hey @Apple,

I would say that a basic understanding of the strong practice areas of the firm you are applying to is important, especially for you. You might get a question regarding your favourite practice area and why, so a basic understanding of them would allow you to respond in an exhaustive and interesting way.

I think that I would focus on understanding what private equity, litigation, M&A actually mean, and you can do this by looking at the firms' websites, looking for information online and on youtube (there are various youtube videos around this which were very helpful whenI applied!) and you can also use the resources made available from TCLA. As a gold and premium member, which I think you are, you have access to online courses around this, so I would advise you to make the most of them as they are very useful!

I understand that you are under time constraint, so I would recommend spending a day or two just learning about the differences amongst practice areas and try to understand which one you could like and the reasons why.

I hope this is useful and good luck on your interview!
Thank you, I really appreciate the response =)

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.