Referencing attending open days in 2017 as a reason for applying to firm

Tom L

Nov 23, 2018
I attended a number of open days in 2017. At what point does saying 'I am attracted to X law firm because of the conversation with trainees...' become outdated/flimsy evidence?

SJamal

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
I attended a open day with an national law firm last year. The open day and the people I spoke to was the major factor for me applying. I got on their vac scheme, but unfortunately, I did not get the TC. I’m planning to mention I attended the open day in 2018 and did the vac scheme hence Ive really experienced the culture and it appeals to me, therefore, I’m reapplying. I personally, think it’s shows a commitment to the firm and desire to really want to work there. Your open day was only last year, therefore, i don’t think it’s ‘outdated’ at all. Especially, if the open day require an application process. However, it maybe it would be if it was 2016 as firm’s could of changed its strategy, ambitions etc. The way I see it the more connection you have to the firm the better, it’s how you word it your open day experience that counts. It would be interesting to know what others TCLA members think?

Tom L

Nov 23, 2018
I attended a open day with an national law firm last year. The open day and the people I spoke to was the major factor for me applying. I got on their vac scheme, but unfortunately, I did not get the TC. I’m planning to mention I attended the open day in 2018 and did the vac scheme hence Ive really experienced the culture and it appeals to me, therefore, I’m reapplying. I personally, think it’s shows a commitment to the firm and desire to really want to work there. Your open day was only last year, therefore, i don’t think it’s ‘outdated’ at all. Especially, if the open day require an application process. However, it maybe it would be if it was 2016 as firm’s could of changed its strategy, ambitions etc. The way I see it the more connection you have to the firm the better, it’s how you word it your open day experience that counts. It would be interesting to know what others TCLA members think?

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I missed the open day this year but I just wondered if there was a general time limit on these sorts of things when applying?

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
I think last year is fine, I still refer to last year’s events in my apps. I think as @SJamal said, it depends on how you word it. And also how important the point you’re making is.

Sometimes I put something like “the firm’s consistently high Lex 100 scores/Band 1 rankings for xyz confirm what trainees said at the open day/networking dinner”. Then why that’s important/interesting to you - so you kinda combine your recent research with something that was said to back it up.
I mean this might not be the best thing to do so don’t quote me, but I find it’s a helpful way to show research

Reactions: Tom L, CF and SJamal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.