Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think the term SC is pretty out dated these days.

It was a term used decades ago when U.K. based law firms were no where near as international as they are now.

Most of the SC are now prominent international firms, mainly due to mergers with firms in other jurisdictions. Most of them have transformed because of this and actually are all quite different from one another because of this. Because lf those differences, you would get varied opinions regarding reputation/how well known they are based on the relevance of the person’s interests to the firm(s) they are suggesting.

gull86

Standard Member
Jan 10, 2023
I think the term SC is pretty out dated these days.

It was a term used decades ago when U.K. based law firms were no where near as international as they are now.

Most of the SC are now prominent international firms, mainly due to mergers with firms in other jurisdictions. Most of them have transformed because of this and actually are all quite different from one another because of this. Because lf those differences, you would get varied opinions regarding reputation/how well known they are based on the relevance of the person’s interests to the firm(s) they are suggesting.
Are they roughly the same in competitiveness to get a vac scheme/TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Are they roughly the same in competitiveness to get a vac scheme/TC?
Competitiveness has many different measurements - I think a lot of people go by application numbers, but this is a pretty poor measurement of how competitive an opportunity is. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the applicants, nor whether they can meet each individual firm's expectations.

They generally have sizable trainee intakes though, and so I think they are generally worth a shot if you think they are the right firm for you. I don't think many people would apply to all the SC firms given how different they are from one another - so I'd look more about whether the individual firm can meet your expectations and aspirations.

Reactions: CallumJR

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.