Some advice for my next steps (after GDL)

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Hi there! I was wanting to get some advice and other people's perspectives on my options after the GDL which I will be finishing in April this year.
I know that the SQE is being introduced which I feel complicates things as I now feel pressure to start the LPC but obviously this is v expensive and I have yet to even gain a vac scheme let alone a TC (I'm still applying to but really losing hope at this point)
Would a year out in between the GDL and LPC be okay considering that firms will want to start introducing the SQE v soon?
I was also wondering whether applications during the LPC is doable? I understand the course in even more intense than the GDL and I've already found it difficult to balance studies and applications, prep for interviews etc so really not sure if I would be sacrificing the quality of either of those during the LPC??
I've noticed a lot of paralegal/legal assistant jobs that are advertised seem to want previous experience but unsure of where to get this in the first place - would it be worth sending speculative applications to local firms?
And generally, any advice on how to fill my summer/time productively that would help applications for between now and the LPC/whatever I end up doing??
Just wondering what others who are in a similar position are thinking of doing??

Thanks so much for the help!!

Reactions: ElleWoods

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi there! I was wanting to get some advice and other people's perspectives on my options after the GDL which I will be finishing in April this year.
    I know that the SQE is being introduced which I feel complicates things as I now feel pressure to start the LPC but obviously this is v expensive and I have yet to even gain a vac scheme let alone a TC (I'm still applying to but really losing hope at this point)
    Would a year out in between the GDL and LPC be okay considering that firms will want to start introducing the SQE v soon?
    I was also wondering whether applications during the LPC is doable? I understand the course in even more intense than the GDL and I've already found it difficult to balance studies and applications, prep for interviews etc so really not sure if I would be sacrificing the quality of either of those during the LPC??
    I've noticed a lot of paralegal/legal assistant jobs that are advertised seem to want previous experience but unsure of where to get this in the first place - would it be worth sending speculative applications to local firms?
    And generally, any advice on how to fill my summer/time productively that would help applications for between now and the LPC/whatever I end up doing??
    Just wondering what others who are in a similar position are thinking of doing??

Thanks so much for the help!!
    I'd heard that the LPC was a bit more relaxed than the GDL course... (at least the full-time version - accelerated may be different) so I imagine you'll definitely be able to do applications throughout the LPC if you could afford to do it.

A lot of my friends who haven't secured TCs this year are taking a year out to work e.g. as paralegals and still apply as they don't want to do the LPC without a firm's sponsorship so it is very common and I wouldn't worry :)

Reactions: gricole

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    I'd heard that the LPC was a bit more relaxed than the GDL course... (at least the full-time version - accelerated may be different) so I imagine you'll definitely be able to do applications throughout the LPC if you could afford to do it.

A lot of my friends who haven't secured TCs this year are taking a year out to work e.g. as paralegals and still apply as they don't want to do the LPC without a firm's sponsorship so it is very common and I wouldn't worry :)
    ah thank you for your response! thats very reassuring!
    I was wondering if you know whether taking a year out now would mean I would have to do the SQE rather than the LPC or would that just depend on the firm?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I was wondering if you know whether taking a year out now would mean I would have to do the SQE rather than the LPC or would that just depend on the firm?
    You technically have until 2032 to do the LPC but yeah it will just depend on the firm as many will switch to the SQE and will no longer use the LPC

Reactions: Jooooopp7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It is going to depend on the firm you are employed by.

Many firms will be moving to the SQE from 2024 onwards because non-law applicants who haven’t started the GDL this year will have to do the SQE. It’s just easier to move everyone to the new system rather than having a dual qualification process.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.