SQE Self-study

danieltuboss

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2023
I am planning to prepare the SQE by myself.

Does this make any difference to Law firms or do they expect us to have done it through a particular provider?

I think it shouldn't but I would like to be reassured if it is correct.

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am planning to prepare the SQE by myself.

Does this make any difference to Law firms or do they expect us to have done it through a particular provider?

I think it shouldn't but I would like to be reassured if it is correct.

Thank you.
It is hard to say - I think many firms won’t care, as long as you pass, but there could be some concerns about your breadth of knowledge (a lot of SQE is not actually that important/relevant to commercial firms).

I would speak to some firms you think you will apply to and get their view on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do you think that the LPC is more relevant to commercial firms? I am still eligible to the the LPC and I could top up the SQE2 later if required.
I think if you are applying for 2025 TCs, most firms are moving to the SQE by that date, and if that is the case the LPC is an expensive way to get an exemption for SQE1

Lauren2

Valued Member
Jan 28, 2020
The LPC is definitely more relevant to commercial firms. The SQE, particularly in my experience with BPP, is very 'high street'. It is unfortunate that the LPC is pretty much no more, given the value of the elective modules which cover areas of far greater relevance to commercial in-house and private practice.

I understand some law firms are having their trainees complete an "SQE+" course which they've pulled together with these providers to give insight into these areas and provide a useful "top up". I haven't yet seen this is available to those self funding, but I would not be surprised if this changes in future. I'm in-house but was lucky to have a pretty frank and open discussion with the SQE coordinator at one of the large firms we work with and this was very much the message from her too. If I could've done the LPC, I certainly would've and feel it would've been of far greater utility, but at the end of the day - both reach the end goal of qualification. Hope that helps!
Do you think that the LPC is more relevant to commercial firms? I am still eligible to the the LPC and I could top up the SQE2 later if required.

• ℹ️
Reactions: B A and OB
The LPC is definitely more relevant to commercial firms. The SQE, particularly in my experience with BPP, is very 'high street'. It is unfortunate that the LPC is pretty much no more, given the value of the elective modules which cover areas of far greater relevance to commercial in-house and private practice.

I understand some law firms are having their trainees complete an "SQE+" course which they've pulled together with these providers to give insight into these areas and provide a useful "top up". I haven't yet seen this is available to those self funding, but I would not be surprised if this changes in future. I'm in-house but was lucky to have a pretty frank and open discussion with the SQE coordinator at one of the large firms we work with and this was very much the message from her too. If I could've done the LPC, I certainly would've and feel it would've been of far greater utility, but at the end of the day - both reach the end goal of qualification. Hope that helps!
Hi,

It might be worth checking out the LLM in Legal Practices available, that include SQE1&2 prep and can also be funded with a Masters Loan if you are based in England, Wales or NI. The College of Legal Practice's LLM for example, is £6,900, and a loan can be over £12k, so you can in some instances cover the costs of the prep course fees and the assessment fees with a Master's loan.

The LLM also has in it 3 electives and a capstone project that are more practice-based but not dis-similar to electives on the LPC, so you can get that broader legal background alongside passing the SQE, which might appeal to firms. There are some modules that are more aligned to private client work too rather than commercial practice.

Hope that helps!

Alice

danieltuboss

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2023

Thank you very much for sharing this information!

Let's see where it all goes. Good luck to everybody!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.