SQE1 and SQE2 preparation course, or LLM Legal practice course?

Hollie23

Aug 8, 2023
Hi,
I did not convert one Vacation Scheme and am waiting to hear back from another. If I was to self-fund the SQE, I wondered whether the advice would be to do the SQE1 and SQE2 preparation course, or the LLM Legal practice course which includes the additional preparation for practice modules? Do firms tend to have a preference?

Reactions: ab01

DanA

Standard Member
Jun 14, 2023
I don't know if firms really have a preference. Most people I've spoken to suggested that they mainly did the LLM for personal financial reasons rather than their firm wanting it. I've been doing the LLM with College of Legal Practice (CoLP). I chose the LLM for the postgrad loan as it covered the SQE exam fees and the course fees. My employer couldn't contribute to my study fees, though, which I guess will play into the decision for a lot of people.

On a personal note, I like their LLM transactional modules as they're so practice focused. They've helped to boost my approach in my own work!

Happy to answer any questions re SQE and my experiences with CoLP.

app03

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    I don't know if firms really have a preference. Most people I've spoken to suggested that they mainly did the LLM for personal financial reasons rather than their firm wanting it. I've been doing the LLM with College of Legal Practice (CoLP). I chose the LLM for the postgrad loan as it covered the SQE exam fees and the course fees. My employer couldn't contribute to my study fees, though, which I guess will play into the decision for a lot of people.

On a personal note, I like their LLM transactional modules as they're so practice focused. They've helped to boost my approach in my own work!

Hi DanA,
    Thank you for sharing! I was wondering how is the workload for SQE in terms of commitment for the week. I'm planning to work part time during the SQE preparation course and wanted to see if that would be feasible.

Thanks very much.

DanA

Standard Member
    Jun 14, 2023
    Hi DanA,
    Thank you for sharing! I was wondering how is the workload for SQE in terms of commitment for the week. I'm planning to work part time during the SQE preparation course and wanted to see if that would be feasible.

Thanks very much.
    On my part time course, I probably spent around 15-20 hours a week on average studying. It was incredibly tough working full time alongside it, but I reckon it would probably compliment part time work!

Reactions: app03

madd

Dec 3, 2023

Hi,

I recently failed SQE2 by a very small % and currently trying to decide whether to undertake the prep course with QLTS or COLP.

Do you have any suggestions in this regard?

I am not sure about the efficacy of using SQE1 questions to consolidate legal knowledge as COLP seems to provide.

Thank you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.