Struggling With LPC?

LPCStudent1

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2020
Hi Guys! I know this forum is more about applications but I am hoping there are some LPC students or past LPC students who can give me some help as I am really struggling.

I started the LPC in January at ULaw and I prior to the workshops I do all the reading etc but I just feel nothing is really making sense or "going in". I feel completely out of my depth with all the content. It is not particularly difficult to understand - the bit I am struggling with is if the way am going about it is efficient?

So for those studying or have studied the LPC how did you prepare for workshops/exams?

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Guys! I know this forum is more about applications but I am hoping there are some LPC students or past LPC students who can give me some help as I am really struggling.

I started the LPC in January at ULaw and I prior to the workshops I do all the reading etc but I just feel nothing is really making sense or "going in". I feel completely out of my depth with all the content. It is not particularly difficult to understand - the bit I am struggling with is if the way am going about it is efficient?

So for those studying or have studied the LPC how did you prepare for workshops/exams?

Are you doing it full time? Is it open note?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Are you doing it full time? Is it open note?

If it’s any help, I struggled when I started the LPC too. It’s a lot of information presented in a different way to undergraduate. My advice is to stick with it, and you begin to see the bigger picture of what you're learning.

I would make sure you just keep your notes in order - that being making good lecture notes and workshops. If your provider gives handouts/slides, use them as the basis of your notes. For example, I copy the slides of a lecture to a word document before I watch the lecture. This helps me get all the key information from the slides and to just focus on what’s being said.

Reactions: Alison C

LPCStudent1

Standard Member
    Feb 22, 2020
    Have you spoken to your university provider/tutors?

Hi Jessica, I have a meeting with my tutor next week but when I spoke to her at the start she said to just trust the workshops and that it will come together.

Just out of curiosity, when looking at TC/VS apps how much emphasis do firms place on LPC results? I obviously want to get a distinction but at ULaw if you fail one core module then you are capped at a pass - not sure how common it is but just seems a scary prospect.

LPCStudent1

Standard Member
    Feb 22, 2020
    If it’s any help, I struggled when I started the LPC too. It’s a lot of information presented in a different way to undergraduate. My advice is to stick with it, and you begin to see the bigger picture of what you're learning.

I would make sure you just keep your notes in order - that being making good lecture notes and workshops. If your provider gives handouts/slides, use them as the basis of your notes. For example, I copy the slides of a lecture to a word document before I watch the lecture. This helps me get all the key information from the slides and to just focus on what’s being said.

Hi Lumree,

I am doing it at ULaw so its open book and yes I am on the full-time course. The university had quite a nightmare with the water system so we missed two workshops which probably are not going to be made up so its frustrating.

How did you make your notes if you dont mind me asking? Because the exam is open book I just feel like copying out of the book onto an word document is probably not too helpful. First time with open book exams and its safe to say I am out of my depth. Content is not actually difficult its just more about how you transfer it to memory. I am guessing you did it at BPP (made a huge mistake choosing ULaw) how were the exams?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Lumree,

I am doing it at ULaw so its open book and yes I am on the full-time course. The university had quite a nightmare with the water system so we missed two workshops which probably are not going to be made up so its frustrating.

How did you make your notes if you dont mind me asking? Because the exam is open book I just feel like copying out of the book onto an word document is probably not too helpful. First time with open book exams and its safe to say I am out of my depth. Content is not actually difficult its just more about how you transfer it to memory. I am guessing you did it at BPP (made a huge mistake choosing ULaw) how were the exams?

In my view, the books should only be used to supplement your lectures/workshops. The lectures and workshops are the groundwork and also what you’re likely to be examined on. Therefore, when I do my reading, I focus on what the lectures titles were for example. This makes it easier to focus and not worry about the obscure points - which only tend to overcomplicate the matter.

LPCStudent1

Standard Member
    Feb 22, 2020
    In my view, the books should only be used to supplement your lectures/workshops. The lectures and workshops are the groundwork and also what you’re likely to be examined on. Therefore, when I do my reading, I focus on what the lectures titles were for example. This makes it easier to focus and not worry about the obscure points - which only tend to overcomplicate the matter.

We only have 3/4 lectures which actually cover topics. So for the 16 workshops theres not really any lectures to watch except the odd few! This is actually why I am worried, a lot of my friends are at BPP and the course is more lecture/handouts etc whereas at ULaw its more workshop/core book.

For BLP for example the first title is Partnerships but then the reading is directed towards "types of businesses" which Partnership is one part. but I still have to make notes on the 25 pages on other types of businesses as youre instructed to do so and I would hate for it to come up in an exam.

Might be that I am over-complicating this myself but :oops:

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    We only have 3/4 lectures which actually cover topics. So for the 16 workshops theres not really any lectures to watch except the odd few! This is actually why I am worried, a lot of my friends are at BPP and the course is more lecture/handouts etc whereas at ULaw its more workshop/core book.

For BLP for example the first title is Partnerships but then the reading is directed towards "types of businesses" which Partnership is one part. but I still have to make notes on the 25 pages on other types of businesses as youre instructed to do so and I would hate for it to come up in an exam.

Do the subsequent workshops go over private companies etc? For example, we were told public companies would not be examined so we knew to avoid that in the reading, which could save reading 8 pages or whatever. Do you not have any direction like that?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I have a meeting with my tutor next week but when I spoke to her at the start she said to just trust the workshops and that it will come together.

Just out of curiosity, when looking at TC/VS apps how much emphasis do firms place on LPC results? I obviously want to get a distinction but at ULaw if you fail one core module then you are capped at a pass - not sure how common it is but just seems a scary prospect.

I would see what comes out of your meeting with your tutor. Just because they said one thing at the start of term, doesn’t mean you can’t get support from them or the rest of the faculty for the rest of the course.

firms will typically want to see a good LPC result - usually commendation or above.

Reactions: Lumree

ZH

Esteemed Member
    Nov 14, 2019

Hey!
    I did it at ULaw - you don't need to make that many notes honestly. LPC esp open book is all about practice and having good checklists - use the workshop tasks to guide your answers and flesh them out to give you a good outline for a similar qs should it come up in the exam.

Textbook reading is for your understanding and for mcq but you don't need that level of detail for the written answers which is 80%.

For most important tasks in a workshop/topic, create a checklist. Organise folder with checklists, specimen and contents page at the front of your folder and then remaining workshop guides following that. Practice specimen paper and analyse the answers to it.

I'm happy to answer any other questions if you need help :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jessica Booker and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.