Taking time off to do winter/summer schemes

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2022
Hi guys. I was wondering, for those of you in full time employment, how do you usually open a dialogue with your employer about taking time off to do schemes with other law firms (including direct competitors)? Also, does it come across as a bit cheeky if you want to take time off to do more than one scheme in a specific season (e.g. 2 winter vac schemes)?

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys. I was wondering, for those of you in full time employment, how do you usually open a dialogue with your employer about taking time off to do schemes with other law firms (including direct competitors)? Also, does it come across as a bit cheeky if you want to take time off to do more than one scheme in a specific season (e.g. 2 winter vac schemes)?
This is super tricky as it depends on your firm's policies around taking time off beyond the duration that they have made allowances for and your relationship with the firm itself. There is also the added consideration of conflict of interest, which means that you cannot simply do a vac scheme without telling your current employer. Clueing in your supervisor/any superiors you have a good relationship with about your intention to make a vac scheme application could be a good starting point. I would also highly recommend taking the direct TC route as you could potentially pursue this without needing to let your employer know until you're made an offer or you accept an offer.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I was quite open with my employers when I joined them that I would be applying for vac schemes (moved jobs halfway through the app cycle). I think its definitely worth being open and honest with them and seeing how they can help.

I opted for a mix of unpaid leave and holiday for my 3 week scheme to not use all of my holiday up so see if you can ask for that (sometimes they don't let you take unpaid leave if you haven't already exhausted your holiday). Also be forthcoming with any conflict checks the firm might do - in-house legal had to consider if there were any risks from me going to my vac scheme firm. Sometimes they might want to cut off your log ins/hand in your work phone/laptop while you're at the other firm!

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I work for the Civil Service and luckily had a really open and supportive team so they all knew from the start that I was applying for vac schemes/TCs. I took off a lot of time to do events, schemes and interviews but because my employers knew this I got some extra time off to relax. I made sure to ask if there were any conflicts of interest as I work for the Government but didn't have any issues and everything worked out well. I think it helps if you can do vac schemes that are only a week long e.g., winter because you only have to take off like 5 days. Hope everything works out well for you :D

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    I was quite open with my employers when I joined them that I would be applying for vac schemes (moved jobs halfway through the app cycle). I think its definitely worth being open and honest with them and seeing how they can help.

I opted for a mix of unpaid leave and holiday for my 3 week scheme to not use all of my holiday up so see if you can ask for that (sometimes they don't let you take unpaid leave if you haven't already exhausted your holiday). Also be forthcoming with any conflict checks the firm might do - in-house legal had to consider if there were any risks from me going to my vac scheme firm. Sometimes they might want to cut off your log ins/hand in your work phone/laptop while you're at the other firm!
    Thanks for this, OB!

Reactions: OB

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    I work for the Civil Service and luckily had a really open and supportive team so they all knew from the start that I was applying for vac schemes/TCs. I took off a lot of time to do events, schemes and interviews but because my employers knew this I got some extra time off to relax. I made sure to ask if there were any conflicts of interest as I work for the Government but didn't have any issues and everything worked out well. I think it helps if you can do vac schemes that are only a week long e.g., winter because you only have to take off like 5 days. Hope everything works out well for you :D
    Thanks for you input, third time lucky!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.