TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAH99

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2022
I have completed a couple of virtual internships on firm's websites. Should these be included in my applications/ are they enough to take up a work experience section of the form?
Hello!
Do you mean the internships available on Forage? I did two and decided to group them in one entry (around 250 words) on all my application forms. I progressed past the application stage without issues. I think that an easy mistake to make is listing what you did without linking it to how you utilised your skills and personalising it. For example, one of my internship tasks was to prepare a presentation on a suitable method of dispute resolution for a client and I mentioned how it helped me improve my presentation and negotiation skills because I performed it in front of my brother, who as a lawyer, provided critical feedback. Think of how you approached individual tasks on each internship and try to highlight your personal experience/skills. Hope this helps :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hey everyone,

On a couple of firm websites, they have specified a desire/need for prospective trainees to have completed the 'City electives' during the LPC of Equity Finance, Debt Finance and Private Acquisitions.

I did Corporate Finance as an elective. Does anyone know if this would be considered an appropriate substitute for either of (or both) the finance modules? I studied at BPP Holborn btw, and the elective covers elements of both debt and equity finance.
Hi @NaimK, it depends how prescriptive their requirement is but I would recommend sending them a quick e-mail and they should be able to answer this for you easily! That way you do not waste time applying if they do in fact require those specific modules listed, although on balance my guess is that you would be fine with your corporate finance elective (I just can't guarantee it) :)

Reactions: NaimK

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
I am doing some interview prep and would appreciate some thoughts on a possible answer to the "what's your biggest weakness" question... I have realised that sometimes when I make a mistake, my initial instinct is to try and pretend it never happened or to cover it up. (If it's relevant, I have definitely learnt this by working in some toxic environments where there is a big blame culture and people were often shouted at for even small mistakes - not an excuse but maybe useful context!) I am working on this and don't ever actually go through with the instinct - I always either fix the mistake myself or come clean to my supervisors and ask for help fixing it if necessary. And every time I am honest about having made a mistake it makes it easier as nobody at my current job is ever as angry as I assume they might be..!
I'm wondering if this is a reasonable answer to give to the "weakness" question or if it is too problematic - I understand why it is so important not to try to cover up mistakes, particularly as a lawyer, and don't want to accidentally put myself across as a deceitful person 😂
Would really appreciate your thoughts/advice!

Saul Goodman

Standard Member
Dec 14, 2021
I am doing some interview prep and would appreciate some thoughts on a possible answer to the "what's your biggest weakness" question... I have realised that sometimes when I make a mistake, my initial instinct is to try and pretend it never happened or to cover it up. (If it's relevant, I have definitely learnt this by working in some toxic environments where there is a big blame culture and people were often shouted at for even small mistakes - not an excuse but maybe useful context!) I am working on this and don't ever actually go through with the instinct - I always either fix the mistake myself or come clean to my supervisors and ask for help fixing it if necessary. And every time I am honest about having made a mistake it makes it easier as nobody at my current job is ever as angry as I assume they might be..!
I'm wondering if this is a reasonable answer to give to the "weakness" question or if it is too problematic - I understand why it is so important not to try to cover up mistakes, particularly as a lawyer, and don't want to accidentally put myself across as a deceitful person 😂
Love the self awareness haha but think it might be better if you don't mention the initial instinct bit (as you said you never follow through with it anyway) and instead rephrase it as "sometimes when i make a mistake i try to fix it all on my own, and while that sometimes works, i am working on being comfortable asking for help from others".

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Love the self awareness haha but think it might be better if you don't mention the initial instinct bit (as you said you never follow through with it anyway) and instead rephrase it as "sometimes when i make a mistake i try to fix it all on my own, and while that sometimes works, i am working on being comfortable asking for help from others".
Excellent suggestion @Saul Goodman! @kr253 if you can frame this as 'trying to fix it all on my own' instead of 'covering it up' then you have a thoughtful and palatable answer in my opinion :)

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021

Excellent suggestion @Saul Goodman! @kr253 if you can frame this as 'trying to fix it all on my own' instead of 'covering it up' then you have a thoughtful and palatable answer in my opinion :)
Thank you both, very helpful!

• Love
Reactions: James Carrabino

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Agree with @James Carrabino ! The way I would phrase this is that owing to your past experience in environments where you've been discouraged to grow and learn from your mistakes, you feel excessively fearful of the consequences of making a mistake, which makes you hesitate to reach out for help when you need it. Talk about the challenges you've felt in trying to overcome this fear- getting over that hesitance, feeling secure enough to reach out to your colleagues, and elaborate on how this has helped you become better as both a legal professional (if you work in law, that is) and a person. For instance, working on getting over this fear may have helped you trust your instincts and manage your expectations re how 'angry' your supervisors may feel, and how this has improved your communication with them.

• Love
Reactions: legalgemma

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Agreed with @James Carrabino1 The way I would phrase this is that owing to your past experience in environments where you've been discouraged to grow and learn from your mistakes, you feel excessively fearful of the consequences of making a mistake, which makes you hesitate to reach out for help when you need it. Talk about the challenges you've felt in trying to overcome this fear- getting over that hesitance, feeling secure enough to reach out to your colleagues, and elaborate on how this has helped you become better as both a legal professional (if you work in law, that is) and a person. For instance, working on getting over this fear may have helped you trust your instincts and manage your expectations re how 'angry' your supervisors may feel, and how this has improved your communication with them.
Thank you, this is really helpful. One thing that I had already noted to mention wrt this was that every time I am honest with supervisors it is NEVER as big of a deal as I had built it up to in my mind, which means that every time it gets a bit easier and less scary!

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD

CC77

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2020
Just did my WBD VI and that means I’ve survived my first pre-recorded VI!

It was an interesting experience and the questions didn’t throw me off. I made a mistake looking over to the left quickly at my notes in one question but there’s nothing I can do about it now - I tried my best and I hope it’s enough for them 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.