TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just did my WBD VI and that means I’ve survived my first pre-recorded VI!

It was an interesting experience and the questions didn’t throw me off. I made a mistake looking over to the left quickly at my notes in one question but there’s nothing I can do about it now - I tried my best and I hope it’s enough for them 😊
That isn’t a mistake! Really don’t worry about this as it’s pretty normal and nothing you would get marked down for.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD, CC77 and Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Baker McKenzie VI! If anyone has sat a VI for BM before, can I please ask for your advice on how to do well?

Baker McKenzie VI invite today. Also still waiting on Ashurst and found the tests to be a disaster.

Baker McKenzie VI :) Does anyone know what the timings are like (i.e. 45 secs to prepare, 90 secs to speak)
Congrats y'all! Linking my post on VIs here to help you prep should you need it. 😇

(Sorry- link included now!)

Last edited:

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Bird & Bird WG invite.

Anyone know of the best test packages to buy? I think I've exhausted all the free resources at this point, and I have already bought the Assessment Day test package.

• 🏆
Reactions: TCG

Unknown22

Nov 1, 2021
Bird & Bird WG invite.

Anyone know of the best test packages to buy? I think I've exhausted all the free resources at this point, and I have already bought the Assessment Day test package.
The assessment day package helped me go from the 40-50 percentile range to 90s. I did all nine tests once but I found that doing the sections independently rather than full tests helps more (for example all 9 assumptions tests first, then deductions, etc).

Reactions: NaimK

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
The assessment day package helped me go from the 40-50 percentile range to 90s. I did all nine tests once but I found that doing the sections independently rather than full tests helps more (for example all 9 assumptions tests first, then deductions, etc).

Yes, that's exactly what I did when preparing for previous tests. But I have done every single question from all 9 sections. Do you know of any other reliable packages?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, that's exactly what I did when preparing for previous tests. But I have done every single question from all 9 sections. Do you know of any other reliable packages?
I am sorry if this comes across as blunt but I don’t think doing more practice tests is going to help.

What I would recommend is investing the time into understanding how questions are formulated and why they come the answers that they do. Practice assessments rarely provide that level of detail - they just tell you whether you have got the question right or wrong (and sometimes don’t even tell you which questions you did get right or wrong). You may find some useful content on YouTube where people walk you through the how’s and why’s. We also have a great course on it too if that was of interest.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I am sorry if this comes across as blunt but I don’t think doing more practice tests is going to help.

What I would recommend is investing the time into understanding how questions are formulated and why they come the answers that they do. Practice assessments rarely provide that level of detail - they just tell you whether you have got the question right or wrong (and sometimes don’t even tell you which questions you did get right or wrong). You may find some useful content on YouTube where people walk you through the how’s and why’s. We also have a great course on it too if that was of interest.

100 percent agree with this! i used to teach the LSAT in the US and understanding question structure and why certain answers are correct should be the priority - makes a very big difference to overall performance. if it’s helpful, joe mallet (a trainee at Vinson & Elkins) has great video resources on how to approach each type of question on the Watson Glaser.

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
is this for the TC?

Yes it is.

No need to apologise - blunt is my preferred style lol.

I'll look on YouTube. As for the course, I'd be interested to check it out.

100 percent agree with this! i used to teach the LSAT in the US and understanding question structure and why certain answers are correct should be the priority - makes a very big difference to overall performance. if it’s helpful, joe mallet (a trainee at Vinson & Elkins) has great video resources on how to approach each type of question on the Watson Glaser.

If you have a link to that video or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Unknown22

Nov 1, 2021
I don’t necessarily think buying more tests will help. I feel like the best method going forward would be using those tests to focus on how the question is designed to be answered and trying to perfect that skill by doing it in sections. I only got the package because I found that I memorised the answers to the free one after doing it once and needed some extra ones to practice on.

Reactions: NaimK
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.