TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Actually...by the look of things, it seems like Ince has progressed quite deep into their Direct TC recruitment. It appears that they have been giving out Video Interview invites for 2023/24 TC in January 2022. So, is it still worthwhile to apply for their TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: John Doe

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I always think this is why commercial law but why at an international law firm.

But would also want any advice on this also.

This is different to why this firm as from my understanding.

Hey @Asil Ahmad!

I am a little unclear; what would you like advice on? Very happy to help if I can!

Covid and Brexit have brought many changes and challenges to a number of sectors over recent years. Please discuss one of the sectors you believe has been affected.

The above is an Addleshaw Goddard app question.

When they say 'sector', are they specifically referring to industry sectors or can we choose to talk about a practice area for our answer?

They also mentioned the word 'sector' in another Q whereby they referred to the legal sector. I just want to be sure before I attempt to answer the question.

@James Carrabino @Jessica Booker
Hey @NaimK,

I think that Jess is definitely right that this is wanting you to mention the wider impact on specific industries/business sectors. However, if you have some word count left at the end of your answer, it will not hurt to mention the practice areas that might be engaged and why their practice might be well-suited to deal with this issue (perhaps based on previous experience). This isn't a must, but if you are keen to demonstrate legal knowledge in a commercial setting, it could work.

Hope that helps!
Hi Jess, should the focus of the job be what a trainee does, NQ associate, or partner? Would it be shallow to present an understanding of what a trainee does, if the goal is to become a partner? But if I talk about what I'm interested at a partner level, would it be too far? Hope my question makes sense!
Hey @lawnoob,

To add my two cents, I would definitely focus on being a junior lawyer. I think it could come across as presumptive/naïve to speak about partnership when you haven't yet entered the profession, given how few people make it (and actually want to make it too!).

I think being ambitious is important, but in this case, I think it is best to speak about the broader themes of being a lawyer at any level (e.g., being highly detail-orientated, the ability to think logically and problem solve), and then focus on the specifics of being a junior lawyer (specifically a trainee/early NQ).

This is only my opinion though, and others may disagree; arguing that being ambitious and speaking about partnership is appropriate

CamilleL

Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2020
Hi everyone,

Just a general question. I am going to start practicing for the Watson Glaser (for the 3rd time in 3 years).

I used Assessment Day practice tests so far, but I don't think I've really made any progress with them.

I am thinking about purchasing JobTestPrep's package this time. Has anyone used it and can give a feedback? Or any other practice test provider?

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you :)

show_me_the_tc

• Nov 17, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Just a general question. I am going to start practicing for the Watson Glaser (for the 3rd time in 3 years).

I used Assessment Day practice tests so far, but I don't think I've really made any progress with them.

I am thinking about purchasing JobTestPrep's package this time. Has anyone used it and can give a feedback? Or any other practice test provider?

Any advice is welcome!

I paid for this package and I found it really useful. There is a document for each section of the WG detailing the logic behind it and all of the things to look out for which I printed out and scribbled on, and then within your portal, you can repeatedly practice questions within the areas you're struggling with (mine was assumptions!). I did this process for about a week straight, after which I achieved 97th percentile in a WG, which I put entirely down to this process!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Any advice is welcome!

Hey @CamilleL,

I am sorry to hear that you didn't find the Assessment Day package helpful.

To add to what @show_me_the_tc has said; I think they they are right in that JobTestPrep is much better at explaining/helping you improve, whereas Assessment Day is purely useful for practicing purposes (and is less good for gaining a basic understanding and explaining the logic behind the right answer).

I would really recommend Joe Mallet's course (which is now part of TCLA's premium offering). I paid for this when Joe was just selling the course over lockdown and I found it really helpful. I bought a few books online about general aptitude tests too, but honestly found Joe's course far more useful. There may well be some preparatory books worth looking at though (arguably instead of the JobTestPrep package, which is very expensive - although pretty comprehensive).

Very happy to help further if I can with this. Let me know if you would like advice on anything else 🚀

• 🤝
    Reactions: CamilleL and AvniD

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey @Asil Ahmad!

I am a little unclear; what would you like advice on? Very happy to help if I can!

Hey @NaimK,

I think that Jess is definitely right that this is wanting you to mention the wider impact on specific industries/business sectors. However, if you have some word count left at the end of your answer, it will not hurt to mention the practice areas that might be engaged and why their practice might be well-suited to deal with this issue (perhaps based on previous experience). This isn't a must, but if you are keen to demonstrate legal knowledge in a commercial setting, it could work.

Hope that helps!

Hey @lawnoob,

To add my two cents, I would definitely focus on being a junior lawyer. I think it could come across as presumptive/naïve to speak about partnership when you haven't yet entered the profession, given how few people make it (and actually want to make it too!).

I think being ambitious is important, but in this case, I think it is best to speak about the broader themes of being a lawyer at any level (e.g., being highly detail-orientated, the ability to think logically and problem solve), and then focus on the specifics of being a junior lawyer (specifically a trainee/early NQ).

This is only my opinion though, and others may disagree; arguing that being ambitious and speaking about partnership is appropriate
    Thank you for this sorry for it.

I am so sorry I actually forgot what I meant by this.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.