TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
  • Applications open (all students)
    20 September 2021
  • Application deadline (all students)
    31 January 2022
  • Applications open (law students)
    1 June 2022
  • Application deadline (law students)
    31 July 2022

The above are deadline dates for applying for a direct TC at Hogan Lovells.

Would I be considered a law student after having completed my GDL and LPC? I want to make sure I'm not wasting time applying before the 31 July deadline if I am not eligible to begin with. I don't know if they're referring to current students and I am unsure as to which category graduates would fall under i.e. 'all' or 'law' students.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I just had a question re 2nd year uni results - do firms expect you to achieve a 2:1 across every module or do they just want a 2:1 overall? I am in 2nd year so this isnt my final year results but in applications when stating each module grade, 2 of them are just below a 2:1. Will this affect whether I will pass the application stage?
Probably fine - have heard some recruiters say that below 2:1 in contract can be an issue, sometimes with the caveat that strong results in other commercial modules in upper years can mitigate this somewhat.

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Just really bombed my Dentons paralegal interview

Just really bombed my Dentons paralegal interview :confused:
It's useful interview experience no matter how badly it went! I used to find it so frustrating when people told me this but I have actually really seen an improvement in my interview performance the more practice I get at them!

Reactions: Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone know how long it typically takes between receiving a TC offer on the phone to receiving the documents/contract?
I had them with me within a few days but I know that it can take longer depending on the workload, number of contracts etc. If you’re concerned about the length of time that’s passed, best to reach out with an email politely asking when you can expect them by.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sarak

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
  • Applications open (all students)
    20 September 2021
  • Application deadline (all students)
    31 January 2022
  • Applications open (law students)
    1 June 2022
  • Application deadline (law students)
    31 July 2022

The above are deadline dates for applying for a direct TC at Hogan Lovells.

Would I be considered a law student after having completed my GDL and LPC? I want to make sure I'm not wasting time applying before the 31 July deadline if I am not eligible to begin with. I don't know if they're referring to current students and I am unsure as to which category graduates would fall under i.e. 'all' or 'law' students.

Any insight would be appreciated.
In my experience, a few firms can follow a different approach to determine who falls within the ‘all students’ and ‘law students’ categories and also on how strictly they impose these divisions. My best advice would be to email graduate recruitment telling them that you’ve done your GDL and LPC, are interested in applying and want to confirm if you’re eligible to apply for the 31 July round.

Reactions: NaimK

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,

can I ask you how do you explain your mitigating circumstances especially when you need to mention an undiagnosed disability?
Thank you very much for your help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

can I ask you how do you explain your mitigating circumstances especially when you need to mention an undiagnosed disability?
Thank you very much for your help
Has it been subsequently diagnosed but the circumstances are such that you are claiming them before diagnosis?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It is more complicated than that but to answer your question..yes
Depending on the complication then, the following might not work, but I would go with something like the following:

I was diagnosed with XXXX in 20XX. Prior to the diagnosis, I did not receive the necessary support to ensure I could do XXXXXX. Therefore it impacted YYYYYYYY resulting in ZZZZZZZZZ. Since the diagnosis, I have received the necessary medication/support/advice that helps me manage the condition on a day-to-day basis.

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Depending on the complication then, the following might not work, but I would go with something like the following:

I was diagnosed with XXXX in 20XX. Prior to the diagnosis, I did not receive the necessary support to ensure I could do XXXXXX. Therefore it impacted YYYYYYYY resulting in ZZZZZZZZZ. Since the diagnosis, I have received the necessary medication/support/advice that helps me manage the condition on a day-to-day basis.
Thank you very much for your help @Jessica Booker. It is truly appreciated

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Thanks @AvniD - I have since emailed grad rec and they confirmed my eligibility to apply in this window. Anyone who has done the LPC and GDL qualifies as a law student and can submit a direct TC app ahead of July 31 deadline.

I have a couple questions about the application:

1) one of the questions is optional and says "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application" (max 250 words)
  • is this a mitigating circumstances type question where we should only be expected to answer the Q if we are talking about that kind of thing or can we literally use it to talk about anything? e.g. why commercial law
2) one of the questions says "We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?" (max 250 words)

• Is this an exaggerated time management type question? Do we have to take the wording here literally or what am I trying to answer effectively?

Reactions: lawnoob
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.