TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
If anyone received a WFW video interview invite, please could you forward me the link if it is not specific to you? I can no longer access my email and I’m worried grad recruitment won’t get back to me before the 15th. TIA

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I am a little confused about the white and case direct tc deadline. is it rolling or not?

From what I can tell, applications for vacation schemes are assessed on a rolling basis at W&C. However, direct training contract applications are reviewed on a non-rolling basis. Let me try to find the link for you.

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
For slider SJT exercises, is it ok to put my slider in the middle for most answers (about 60-40, only slightly leaning to one side)? I would have a mixed approach for most scenarios in reality.

Or do firms want to see a more solid answer like 90-10/80-20?

Not gonna lie - I am just honest about where I fall on the scale whether it is a 60-40 deal or 90-10.

However (and idk if this is right to do), I try to choose answers based on what values the firm want where appropriate. If the competency is not mentioned by the firm, I just choose whatever is true to me.

For example, a firm might prioritise teamwork heavily over individualism. On a sliding scale where they would ask about whether I prefer working in a team vs solo, I might go 80-20 or 70-30 in favour of team to sufficiently reflect their values and maybe increase my chances of selection.

• ℹ️
Reactions: lawnoob

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Does anyone know if the Latham behavioural assessment includes any Qs that you have to worry about getting right/wrong? Or is it all just a way to judge your personal strengths/weaknesses and preferences in work-type situations?

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
If you applied for a direct TC, they are evaluating on a non-rolling basis, so you won't get any test invite until after 31 July.
Oh I thought HL was rolling? I've only been able to find that their VS is rolling so I just assumed the same for TC, please let me know if you've heard otherwise :)

**edit, just had a look at their grad brochure on the website and they say its rolling! Though I'm not sure if the WG is automatically sent out

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a doubt, I am currently describing a specific firm's practice. I have a case that I can refer to and which showcases the firm's ability across different international courts. However, the firm's has been recently hired on landmark class action that could potentially change the cryptocurrency market. The only problem is that none of the news outlets nor the firm's website mention if the London's office is involved. What should I do?

Reactions: Adrian_S

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Oh I thought HL was rolling? I've only been able to find that their VS is rolling so I just assumed the same for TC, please let me know if you've heard otherwise :)

**edit, just had a look at their grad brochure on the website and they say its rolling! Though I'm not sure if the WG is automatically sent out

I emailed grad rec a few days ago and they confirmed that this is non-rolling. I imagine TCs would be different than it is for VSs, so it's surprising to see the grad brochure say otherwise.

I cannot confirm it whether the WG is sent out automatically myself because I haven't completed the application yet.

EDIT: Also, just remembered that WG is NOT guaranteed. You need a successful app from what I remember reading in order to receive an invite to take the WG.

• ℹ️
Reactions: lawnoob, Adrian_S and S87

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a doubt, I am currently describing a specific firm's practice. I have a case that I can refer to and which showcases the firm's ability across different international courts. However, the firm's has been recently hired on landmark class action that could potentially change the cryptocurrency market. The only problem is that none of the news outlets nor the firm's website mention if the London's office is involved. What should I do?

I know people often say that when you mention a deal, it should be one that the London office has worked on. However I don’t believe this is a strict rule.

In my view, what matters is being able to articulate (1) what you think the deal says about the firm specifically and (2) how it speaks to you and your interests. If you can say (3) what you think the deal says about the firm’s London office, that’s great too. But I don’t think (3) is always required.

Just my thoughts but I’m open to hearing any opposing suggestions :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thank you very much @Adrian_S

Yes, I see your point.
For me the case speaks volume of the firm's ability and reputation in this particular practice. But, most of all, from a personal point of view it opens the road for me to work on cases that would make me a good lawyer and where I can bring lots of skills given my experience as a litigation paralegal.

Reactions: Adrian_S
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.