TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
Those who have done Denton's TC AC, how long did you wait until you heard back? Pretty sure grad rec said a week, but it's coming up to two weeks with no word

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Has any international student been able to secure a paralegal role before applying for the Graduate visa?
I never went on the new grad route (got onto Spousal last year) but I picked up work immediately after my masters while still on my student visa. However, it was i) a company I had previously worked with and ii) project work which was due to end prior to my student visa expiring.

As regards the first factor, options naturally will depend on your circumstances; for the second, I would say that looking for time-limited project work makes sense. This is most often posted for litigation depts at various firms but there are occasionally opportunities for in-house projects or temporary transactional support.

I'd note though that while still on a student visa I was in process with various recruiters and employers for longer-term roles and given they understood I had a near-guaranteed visa in the future this was generally not a sticking point.

• ℹ️
Reactions: ssolicitorz and Adrian_S

Scandi

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker. There is a possibility that I might lose my status under the EU settlement scheme because of working abroad.

However, if I am to start a training contract at a firm, do you think they would be amenable/likely to offer to sponsor another type of visa before starting the training contract? In that case, do you know what type of visa that would be relevant?

When applying to the firm, I mentioned that I have a right to work indefinitely - which I, of course, have at this moment.

I further believe this work experience abroad would be an asset for the firm when starting the TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker. There is a possibility that I might lose my status under the EU settlement scheme because of working abroad.

However, if I am to start a training contract at a firm, do you think they would be amenable/likely to offer to sponsor another type of visa before starting the training contract? In that case, do you know what type of visa that would be relevant?

When applying to the firm, I mentioned that I have a right to work indefinitely - which I, of course, have at this moment.

I further believe this work experience abroad would be an asset for the firm when starting the TC.
    They would apply for a skilled persons visa for you (assuming they meet the criteria and are willing to do so). You’d need to speak to the firm in question as to whether they do this for trainees.

You may want to be clearer on your application that you currently have EU settlement status but that may change due to working abroad.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Scandi

h.law

Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 11, 2022
    Has any international student been able to secure a paralegal role before applying for the Graduate visa?
    Hi! I've spoken to international students who have managed to get a paralegal role before, but I'm not sure whether it was before or after applying for the graduate visa. Would recommend reaching out to people on Linkedin, as most international students are very friendly and willing to help!

Reactions: ssolicitorz

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 23, 2020
    Hey @Jessica Booker or others who may know the answer. I’m an Australian citizen thinking of moving to the UK under the youth mobility visa that is between Australia and UK (as I understand this visa allows Australians to work for three years in the UK). Do you know if this visa allows us to work in UK law firms based on your experience (asking as an application asks if we would require sponsorship)? Many thanks

moxiebobo

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 30, 2020
    Hey @Jessica Booker or others who may know the answer. I’m an Australian citizen thinking of moving to the UK under the youth mobility visa that is between Australia and UK (as I understand this visa allows Australians to work for three years in the UK). Do you know if this visa allows us to work in UK law firms based on your experience (asking as an application asks if we would require sponsorship)? Many thanks
    will hop in and say that i'm 99% sure you can! there are only a couple work exclusions from youth mobility visa (e.g. entrepreneurship) and i don't believe they include legal services work!

Reactions: futureTS2025hopeful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.