TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
I can say that I definitely know people who have received direct TC offers from MC firms with no prior legal experience (this is less the case for US firms as far as I can tell). That said, you will have to be very clear with your motivations - are you studying law or a somewhat related subject such as history/politics/philosophy? If not, then you would need to work hard to make a compelling case but I think it is still worth putting in the application!
Thank you James. That was very helpful :) Yes, I did law and desperately trying to get some legal work experience.

I will give it a try then.

Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thank you James. That was very helpful :) Yes, I did law and desperately trying to get some legal work experience.

I will give it a try then.
If you send in your app to TCLA's application review service, you can ask one of us specifically to bear this in mind when considering whether you have made your motivations compelling enough!

Reactions: bibss

SamTam99

Legendary Member
Jan 5, 2021
Has anyone heard anything from Allen & Overy (after passing the SJT) for the March 2024 direct TC yet? It’s been like 2 months since I sent off my app and the wait is actually driving me insane 😭😭

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Has anyone heard anything from Allen & Overy (after passing the SJT) for the March 2024 direct TC yet? It’s been like 2 months since I sent off my app and the wait is actually driving me insane 😭😭
    No but I assume they’re dealing with winter VS first :)

also I never heard that I’d passed the SJT but haven’t received a PFO 🤔

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hi everyone! could you please drop firms names that recruit on a rolling basis for direct TCs (trying to take the fast track option haha). Thanks in advance :)

Shahnur

Oct 12, 2021
    Hi, I had a final round interview with Akin Gump for the 2023 TC in the middle of October. I was supposed to hear back by 23rd Oct but havent heard anything yet. I just wanted to check if anyone else has heard back from them after the final round? Any tips on what I should do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I had a final round interview with Akin Gump for the 2023 TC in the middle of October. I was supposed to hear back by 23rd Oct but havent heard anything yet. I just wanted to check if anyone else has heard back from them after the final round? Any tips on what I should do?
    Just give them a call tomorrow for an update.

Barackboi

Nov 1, 2021
    When you say final round what do you mean? Do you mean the partner panel interview or something else

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Hi All,

does anyone have any advice on how to not dwell on an interview after it has occurred. I've just had my first TC interview and it was for my top choice firm (I know I shouldn't have a favourite already as I'm setting myself up for heartbreak). I can't stop thinking about how I could've given stronger answers or things I should've mentioned but didn't. I'm sure I'm not the only person to do this after an interview right? if nothing else its a learning experience for next time...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All,

does anyone have any advice on how to not dwell on an interview after it has occurred. I've just had my first TC interview and it was for my top choice firm (I know I shouldn't have a favourite already as I'm setting myself up for heartbreak). I can't stop thinking about how I could've given stronger answers or things I should've mentioned but didn't. I'm sure I'm not the only person to do this after an interview right? if nothing else its a learning experience for next time...
    My advice would be for every negative thought you have about the interview, find a positive, even if it seems quite minor or basic (eg turning up on time, smiling etc).

It may seem silly, but it will help you frame the positive aspects and create some balance to your thinking.

People tend to over analyse the negatives in situations they care about, but a good skill for any lawyer will be being able to weigh up the good and bad and recognise both aspects. So train your thinking to have balance.

When you work in a firm, even when you do well, you’ll be always looking for improvements for the next time or the next development step, but to do that you have to recognise what you did well with too.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi All,

I remember when I had my AC, I completed it with this feeling of exuberance and confidence in my performance, which quickly dwindled into self-doubt and cynicism that lasted all the way till I received the outcome of the AC two weeks later. Those two weeks were spent questioning my performance and abilities and playing down how well I did- I think I did this to not get my hopes up and soften the blow in case I was unsuccessful in obtaining a training contract.

Although I distracted myself with work and my hobbies, I don't think I made an effort to manage my anxiety about the interview and AC in general, which made me unhealthily stressed. In hindsight, I wish I would've asked for support from my family and friends in helping me achieve a more rounded, big-picture view.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is- you're not alone. A lot of us obsess over our performance in interviews, but it's important to look at things in a balanced way as @Jessica Booker rightly expressed in her reply above. Maybe also try writing down what you felt went well so that every time you find yourself dwelling on the negatives, you can see a visual reminder of the positives.

I hope my experience resonates with you and that you feel supported. You've got this! 😊

Reactions: Jaysen and Abii

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Hi All,

I had the exact same situation (I even posted on here about it at the time). I don’t have much advice to offer, but just wanted to say you are not the only person to go through this!

As hard as it may be, try not to think about the interview any more - it is done now! Best of luck, I am sure you smashed it.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Thank you @Jessica Booker @AvniD and @Penelope

It is reassuring to know I am not the only person to do this! I guess I just need to focus on the positive elements, be proud of the fact I made it this far through the process and wait for the outcome and feedback!

I think part of me is also doing the same thing of focusing on the negative to almost pre-empt and prepare myself for a rejection to try and soften the blow rather than get my hopes up - which I shouldn't do, even if it is a rejection it doesn't mean I won't be a very successful solicitor in the future!

Reactions: Penelope and AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.