TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

islasorna

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 29, 2023
PFO from TLT. It was a bit confusing because when I had checked my application status about a week ago, it had said that they were waiting for the outcome of an online test, but I hadn't received one. Did anyone else encounter a similar situation?
That's a bit odd. I haven't been invited to do any tests, and I checked mine just now and it still says "under consideration". And it seems they give out test invites before sending post-app PFOs, so I'm now guessing I'll get a PFO later this week.

It might be worth getting in touch with them and asking about the test invite, because you might have have passed the app stage but there will be a finite time to complete any tests, and that probably lapsed prompting a PFO (although I'm just assuming this rather than it being a tech error).

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
It’s not that it’s bad on its own, it’s just more worrying when all of someone’s employment is through connections.

When it comes to wording, phrase it more on how you either obtained or made the most of that connection, rather than the connection itself.
Hello @Jessica Booker could you please tell me, how does grad rec perceive internships secured through cold emailing people on LinkedIn? (no personal connections, just cold messages to random people working in those organisations leading to internships). Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker could you please tell me, how does grad rec perceive internships secured through cold emailing people on LinkedIn? (no personal connections, just cold messages to random people working in those organisations leading to internships). Thanks.
It generally shows initiative and proactiveness.

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Hi there - has anyone else been having difficulty getting a CAS from BPP for the PGDL once you have submitted all your passport/visa information to them? Please DM me if you have a similar situation

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
That's a bit odd. I haven't been invited to do any tests, and I checked mine just now and it still says "under consideration". And it seems they give out test invites before sending post-app PFOs, so I'm now guessing I'll get a PFO later this week.

It might be worth getting in touch with them and asking about the test invite, because you might have have passed the app stage but there will be a finite time to complete any tests, and that probably lapsed prompting a PFO (although I'm just assuming this rather than it being a tech error).
Yeah I've received no online test for TLT either.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I've let it sink in a little bit and yet it still feels ridiculously surreal but, last week, I received a TC offer!!!! I cannot stress how this would not have been achieved if it were not for the resources, and guidance, of TCLA and its wider community.

Thank you to everyone for their wonderful support this cycle <3; if anyone has any questions, I would love to continue the kindness shown to me by so many of TCLA's finest!!!!!
Congratulations! That euphoria is incredible, enjoy it :) So well deserved !

Keep us updated on your journey and don’t forgot to join the Junior Lawyers Community

• Love
Reactions: Phoebe123451

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
if an app asks how you obtain a work experience and it was through connections then is this bad? if so how could i word this to not disadvantage me
Hi @wz_13 ,

It is not bad per se, but it just means it wasn’t necessarily obtained via merit (which is probably worth more to GR). However, I have made an assumption there - perhaps it was obtained on merit! It may be that you contacted them and you still had to follow a procedure in order to obtain the WE. I would need more details on how you obtained it to help you, but transparency is key. It is always worth detailing each element of your journey, however you obtained it.

Reactions: wz_13

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
What happens if you can't attend an AC because you're out of the country - is there another option or do you have to fly back? Would this not be a common occurrence since most of them are in the summer?
Hey @hannahwilson! If you absolutely cannot attend the AC by flying back, I would communicate that to GR ASAP and they may conduct the AC online or may other arrangements. However, it is up to them whether they do so or not ! The chances of them doing so depend on what the AC entails (ie just interviews on your own or a group exercise as well?).

Something else to keep in mind is that it is harder to communicate genuinely over Zoom as it is in person.

Hope that helps!

Laura :)

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
PFO from TLT. It was a bit confusing because when I had checked my application status about a week ago, it had said that they were waiting for the outcome of an online test, but I hadn't received one. Did anyone else encounter a similar situation?
Always best to double check by emailing them! I would contact them to check that there wasn’t an online test you were supposed to receive.

Keep us updated - Laura :)

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
Hi @wz_13 ,

It is not bad per se, but it just means it wasn’t necessarily obtained via merit (which is probably worth more to GR). However, I have made an assumption there - perhaps it was obtained on merit! It may be that you contacted them and you still had to follow a procedure in order to obtain the WE. I would need more details on how you obtained it to help you, but transparency is key. It is always worth detailing each element of your journey, however you obtained it.
I see - thank you very much for all the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.