TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeRegretToInformYou

Star Member
Jan 4, 2022
Hi @WeRegretToInformYou - I am sorry to hear about your loss of a family member. I know it must be difficult to focus on your interviews with a lot happening in your personal life.

I advise contacting the firm and asking for the interview to be postponed rather than informing them that your performance will be impacted. A firm can't really assess you clearly if you are thinking your performance is going to be hindered - they can't make any judgement on how its impacting your performance or to what level it is. Therefore the best advice (in my opinion, but I would expect most recruiters to agree), would be to delay the interview until you feel you can focus on it. I would expect most firms would be able to accommodate a later interview date given the circumstances.
Thank you very much Jessica

A.Diane01

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    Guys, wanted to share the good news as TCLA has been a huge part of my legal journey - I have managed to secure a TC at an international firm in Manchester!

I just want to say thankyou so much for all your help, guidance and moral support. Entering the legal application process from a STEM background hit me like (a very fast, very heavy) train however the TCLA community always provided such kind and encouraging words after all the PFOs and blundered VIs! Reading the threads after a busy day was always a treat as I knew I'd either laugh, learn or be able to offer the same encouragement to someone else as you all did for me.

I hope to be able to give back where I can within TCLA, with a view make someone elses journey a little bit easier like you have all done for me. DMs are always open if anyone has any Qs, for a chat (or a Michael Scott gif).

Hopefully this chemist can make a mark in the legal world!

The Office Crying GIF

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Guys, wanted to share the good news as TCLA has been a huge part of my legal journey - I have managed to secure a TC at an international firm in Manchester!

I just want to say thankyou so much for all your help, guidance and moral support. Entering the legal application process from a STEM background hit me like (a very fast, very heavy) train however the TCLA community always provided such kind and encouraging words after all the PFOs and blundered VIs! Reading the threads after a busy day was always a treat as I knew I'd either laugh, learn or be able to offer the same encouragement to someone else as you all did for me.

I hope to be able to give back where I can within TCLA, with a view make someone elses journey a little bit easier like you have all done for me. DMs are always open if anyone has any Qs, for a chat (or a Michael Scott gif).

The Office Crying GIF
    Congratulations!!! This is AMAZING news- so well deserved 👏👏👏

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hey, looking for some advice. Didn’t manage to secure anything in the last cycle. I am due to start a paralegal job soon and am keen to carry on applying to training contracts /VS. I was speaking with someone and they made a negative comment about how being a paralegal can reduce your chances of being successful in applications and how easy it is to get stuck. Is this true? I was quite proud of myself for getting this role and thought it could be 1 step closer to a TC! any advise would be greatly appreciated as I’m feeling quite stressed and lost at the minute
    Completely disagree, whoever has told you that is just being a negative nancy.

I know a few folk (like the member on here), who have worked in paralegal roles, to go on to secure TC's, if anything its going to make you more employable.

Congratulations!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The Office Crying GIF
    This is fantastic news - I am delighted for you and really pleased you found the forums a place for moral support and guidance!

Come On Yes GIF by WTA

• Love
    Reactions: A.Diane01

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hey, looking for some advice. Didn’t manage to secure anything in the last cycle. I am due to start a paralegal job soon and am keen to carry on applying to training contracts /VS. I was speaking with someone and they made a negative comment about how being a paralegal can reduce your chances of being successful in applications and how easy it is to get stuck. Is this true? I was quite proud of myself for getting this role and thought it could be 1 step closer to a TC! any advise would be greatly appreciated as I’m feeling quite stressed and lost at the minute
    I have submitted one (1) application since I started private practice paralegal work earlier this year. It got me to my first AC after several years of applying. Absolute nonsense that paralegal roles block you in.

Depending on the role, you may find that in a couple of months recruiters are reaching out to put you in front of firms which *specifically fast-track paralegals into their training contracts* - it is definitely an advantage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.