TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

erin1009

• Feb 10, 2022
    Hi I am looking for advice on my training contract application it only includes 2 questions:

1. Please list any other relevant skills, experience or qualities and explain how these would be of advantage in a traineeship at X
    2. Please explain what you consider distinguishes you as a potential Trainee with X and why you would be an asset to our firm.

Both are capped at 150 words. I am an aspiring energy solicitor (renewables) and this is one of the firm's strengths plus their client base. With a short word count I don't know the best way to approach the questions. Should I focus on one or two skills and detail my experience via STAR? Any advice would be greatly welcomed including how you have dissected each questions to me 1 means core skills of a trainee and 2 my unique selling point but I would warmly welcome other perspectives! @Jessica Booker

Last edited:

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Another day of waiting for a response from Hogan Lovells and Travers Smith. Happy new month all! 😂
    Billie Joe Armstrong September GIF by Global Citizen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also does anyone know if it affects your chances choosing an earlier/later AC date?
    Generally, it won't impact your chances. If you chose a late AC and they had filled roles, they could always offer you a later intake. However, firms tend to be pretty good at predicting the necessary recruitment numbers, and if anything tend to under-hit anyway (so the over offering point is exceptionally rare).

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

I am currently applying for a direct training contract at Crowell. I need to send my CV but my work experiences cannot be in a bullet points format, they are asking to write a brief statement of your role and responsibilities. How much is brief? 3/4 sentences?!There are currently 9 roles on my CV.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Hi guys,

I am currently applying for a direct training contract at Crowell. I need to send my CV but my work experiences cannot be in a bullet points format, they are asking to write a brief statement of your role and responsibilities. How much is brief? 3/4 sentences?!There are currently 9 roles on my CV
    Do all 9 roles need to be in your CV or need a description. 3/4 sentences for 9 roles is still 27-36 sentences which is quite a lot of text. 100 words per role is 900 words which is likely to be more than a page in length just on that section.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Do all 9 roles need to be in your CV or need a description. 3/4 sentences for 9 roles is still 27-36 sentences which is quite a lot of text. 100 words per role is 900 words which is likely to be more than a page in length just on that section.
    I can actually include 3 most recent roles Which are very interesting work wise. Thank you for your help @Abii

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.