TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Has anyone done a case study before in an AC, and if so, how do you usually approach these? I’ve never had to do one before so I wondered how you’d structure your answers etc?

Also, have any of you done the McQuaig mental agility test before? I’ve done a couple of practices a while ago and I found it quite hard, mainly because an aspect of it is that it tests how wide your vocabulary is and I’m not entirely sure on how to prepare for that in particular. Any tips would be much appreciated as this would also be my first time doing this type of test!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone done a case study before in an AC, and if so, how do you usually approach these? I’ve never had to do one before so I wondered how you’d structure your answers etc?

Also, have any of you done the McQuaig mental agility test before? I’ve done a couple of practices a while ago and I found it quite hard, mainly because an aspect of it is that it tests how wide your vocabulary is and I’m not entirely sure on how to prepare for that in particular. Any tips would be much appreciated as this would also be my first time doing this type of test!
My personal advice is not to fixate too much on answer structure.

The purpose of such case studies is to see how you can analyse information on your feet, and sometimes sticking rigidly to how you structure your answers can mean you don’t follow the instructions or answer the questions being posed to you.

Instead, I would consider more the purpose of the task and who your audience is. How you might approach a case study would be very different if your (simulated) audience is a partner than if it was a client. You may also take a very different approach if you have to make a decision (eg which company would you recommend you client buys) vs if you have to consider a range of factors that may influence a particular deal that has already been decided.

There is some really useful information here though: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....firm-case-studies-monday-article-series.3232/

Reactions: LegalC

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Generally speaking, unless it's specified, you could present your thoughts on a case study in any way as long as you 1) summarise your conclusion 2) walk the interviewers through your thought process 3) clearly identify the issues and possible solutions to them. Linking my post on ACs here that has some of my tips for case studies too, along with a link to the article that @Jessica Booker included in her post above.

I haven't done the McQuaig test before but from the sound of it, I don't think you can prepare for it beyond practicing for it till you feel like you've understood what you're being tested on and how you can ace it. Have you found adequate practice resources?

Reactions: Jaysen and LegalC

Jedward87

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Anyone else confused how Trowers is going to tell everyone by some unforeseen date in September and then also get the golden few to an unspecified date AC in September? I’m worried if selected for an AC I’d need to book leave from work and we have to do that well in advance 😭

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Anyone else confused how Trowers is going to tell everyone by some unforeseen date in September and then also get the golden few to an unspecified date AC in September? I’m worried if selected for an AC I’d need to book leave from work and we have to do that well in advance 😭
Which office have you applied for?

Reactions: Jedward87

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
London, how about you?

I haven’t received any further info yet - I was really hopeful as they’d selected me for the open day and a meet the firm evening event that I’d get an invite to AC w this one. Crossed fingers it still might happen!
Oh maybe there’s a slight delay at the London office then? I’ve applied for the Birmingham office and I’ve got my AC date as of Friday just gone.

Sounds positive if you’ve been selected before hand though, fingers crossed you’ll hear back and it’s good news!

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
My personal advice is not to fixate too much on answer structure.

The purpose of such case studies is to see how you can analyse information on your feet, and sometimes sticking rigidly to how you structure your answers can mean you don’t follow the instructions or answer the questions being posed to you.

Instead, I would consider more the purpose of the task and who your audience is. How you might approach a case study would be very different if your (simulated) audience is a partner than if it was a client. You may also take a very different approach if you have to make a decision (eg which company would you recommend you client buys) vs if you have to consider a range of factors that may influence a particular deal that has already been decided.

There is some really useful information here though: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....firm-case-studies-monday-article-series.3232/
This has been mega insightful so thank you so much! The example case studies will come in very handy. So when it comes to presenting your answer to the interviewer, is it more like a discussion between you and them ie quite a bit of back and forth?

Another part of the case study interview I have also ties in with a discussion of a news article I referred to in my application. What sort of points should I consider here, as I imagine I’ll be challenged on some of my views/points?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This has been mega insightful so thank you so much! The example case studies will come in very handy. So when it comes to presenting your answer to the interviewer, is it more like a discussion between you and them ie quite a bit of back and forth?

Another part of the case study interview I have also ties in with a discussion of a news article I referred to in my application. What sort of points should I consider here, as I imagine I’ll be challenged on some of my views/points?
Unfortunately, it can really depend on the firm's approach - some take it as a conversation, while for others it is much more that you present your thinking and then they ask a few follow-up questions.

Have you been informed this news article part will definitely happen? It may be the case that no reference is made to your application. Obviously you could prepare your thoughts on what you have said previously, but unless you have been advised otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily expect this to be covered.

Reactions: LegalC

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Generally speaking, unless it's specified, you could present your thoughts on a case study in any way as long as you 1) summarise your conclusion 2) walk the interviewers through your thought process 3) clearly identify the issues and possible solutions to them. Linking my post on ACs here that has some of my tips for case studies too, along with a link to the article that @Jessica Booker included in her post above.

I haven't done the McQuaig test before but from the sound of it, I don't think you can prepare for it beyond practicing for it till you feel like you've understood what you're being tested on and how you can ace it. Have you found adequate practice resources?
This is great thank you! I was thinking of using a similar structure to help guide my answer along so it’s good to know I’m on the right tracks.

Re the McQuaig test, I thought that was the case, I have found a couple of resources to practice with but I think it’s slightly limited as I’m not sure if it’s a popular psychometric test that companies use to assess candidates.

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Unfortunately, it can really depend on the firm's approach - some take it as a conversation, while for others it is much more that you present your thinking and then they ask a few follow-up questions.

Have you been informed this news article part will definitely happen? It may be the case that no reference is made to your application. Obviously you could prepare your thoughts on what you have said previously, but unless you have been advised otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily expect this to be covered.
I’ve been told on an email that it would be a legal case study with set questions which makes me think there might not be much back and forth?

I have been told that section two of this part of the interview will be based into the new story I mentioned in my application so it does seem as though this will definitely be assessed on the day. I just wasn’t sure how deep they’d dive into my answer and how much they’d challenge/pick apart on what I’ve said so I want to cover as much ground as I can.

Reactions: ellwilsen

ineedadvice445

Jun 22, 2022
A bit confused - Trowers says that at the end of training you will have to submit an application and interview for the area you want to qualify in once you are NQ. This just seems like even more steps at the end and you would never really feel secure that you will be retained upon qualifying. Maybe I'm just being naive, is that how they do it in other firms as well?

Putt5353

Nov 20, 2021
A bit confused - Trowers says that at the end of training you will have to submit an application and interview for the area you want to qualify in once you are NQ. This just seems like even more steps at the end and you would never really feel secure that you will be retained upon qualifying. Maybe I'm just being naive, is that how they do it in other firms as well?
Unfortunately I’m pretty sure that’s standard practice. There’s generally no guarantee that you’ll be kept on after your TC, or that you’ll get your first choice practice area if you are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This isn't rare - you effectively have to be selected for any NQ role and there is never any guarantee you will get a role (even with firms that have historically had 100% retention rates).

For many firms, you will usually have to submit some form of "application" even if that is really basic and is just referencing the areas you'd be happy to qualify into. Some firms (or even individual teams) will interview for NQ roles too - especially if they are competitive.

Ultimately any TC is a two-year fixed-term contract and therefore you will always feel there are additional steps to take during your TC or towards the end of it to secure a NQ role. You'll feel the same when it comes to promotions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.