TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Should be the penultimate page at the bottom - if I can remember from memory. But it’s definitely in the application form and not after submission.
    Yes there is a section that asks for your degree name and write all your modules and at the bottom of that page is please upload your personal statement in a word or pdf format. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Jolivem

islasorna

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 29, 2023
    @Jessica Booker I have a done the Scottish Legal Diploma but am thinking of applying to some English firms - where on the application should I mentioned the diploma as a qualification, if at all (I know it won't really count for anything)? And should I mention why I'm applying for an English firm in the first place after obtaining the Scottish diploma?

Thanks

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    I feel like we discuss queries around application questions quite often, however, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or pointers on wording the work experience section in a way that identifies the key responsibilities and lessons learnt? Any examples from successful applications could be very useful.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I have a done the Scottish Legal Diploma but am thinking of applying to some English firms - where on the application should I mentioned the diploma as a qualification, if at all (I know it won't really count for anything)? And should I mention why I'm applying for an English firm in the first place after obtaining the Scottish diploma?

Thanks
    Yes - I would mention it as it is important to account for the time you have dedicated to it.

It will also be important to explain why you have either now decided to pursue a career in England/Wales, rather than in Scotland or why you decided to do the diploma anyway, knowing it wouldn’t help you with the English qualification route.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, in an interview:

(i) For 'Why Commercial Law' - let's say I tell the interviewer that I want to do Commercial law because I like writing and putting my ideas on paper and I also explain properly where I have done this and what exactly I enjoyed during the process - should I also go into the details of how good I am at writing , for example mentioning any accolades that I may have won recognising my writing abilities? Is the last part necessary or can I leave it out in an interview?

(ii) In general, does Grad Rec like if the applicant can recite a great deal of facts + awards and other textual details verbatim or does it come across as "trying too hard" or "too polished and not relaxed and conversational enough"?

(iii)- If I am asked "Why law", should I clarify if they mean why I want to become a commercial lawyer or why I chose to study a law degree?

(iv)- Is it okay if my "Why law, why the firm and why me" answers are slightly longer than usual? I have tried chopping them down but I feel that every detail that I mention is important to me. Will the interviewer stop me midway or tell me to be brief?

Thanks in advance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.