TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuelled By Caffeine

Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 3, 2020
Nothing from Withers (post online test) and RPC? Also hearing White & Case have filled a lot of their TC's with successful Vac scheme students :eek:
I've also heard nothing from RPC.

The application confirmation email said they would get back to candidates 'shortly after' the 25th June deadline. So I imagine that we should be hearing relatively soon.

Reactions: EM23

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    The portal only said that the firm 'strongly recommend' candidates not to reapply tho
    Does anyone know if Latham & Watkins allows you to apply to their TC if you were unsuccessful with their VS app
    Hi there! Based on those very specific wordings, I wouldn't reapply for the TC in the same year. If they wanted you to, they would not have used those words. In my view, this is one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" situations. It is quite challenging in my opinion to show that you have made considerable experience/development within just a few months. I think you would be better off applying direct TCs for firms you haven't yet applied to this cycle.

Food for thought: say you decided to reapply to L&W, how different would your application for the TC be to the one you submitted for the VS?

M0M007

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2023
    Hi there! Based on those very specific wordings, I wouldn't reapply for the TC in the same year. If they wanted you to, they would not have used those words. In my view, this is one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" situations. It is quite challenging in my opinion to show that you have made considerable experience/development within just a few months. I think you would be better off applying direct TCs for firms you haven't yet applied to this cycle.

Food for thought: say you decided to reapply to L&W, how different would your application for the TC be to the one you submitted for the VS?
    Hey, would this apply to White & Case as well esp when ure unsuccessful post-app for the VS?

Last edited:

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    question about Freshfields app: if we are mentioning our work exp/ activities in the work section - should we attach our CV too? I feel like its too repetitive.
    unless something has changed this year, you don't have to send a CV. only personal statement + the rest of the form (incl. work experience). the only reason there is an option to submit a CV is because they use the same portal for lateral hiring.

Reactions: F12M34L

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Hey, would this apply to White & Case as well esp when ure unsuccessful post-app for the VS?
    In my opinion, I'd say yes. Personally, for the firms I am unsuccessful for post-app, I will probably wait until at least the next cycle to reapply, or until I have substantial things to add to it such that it looks very different from the unsuccessful application.

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    unless something has changed this year, you don't have to send a CV. only personal statement + the rest of the form (incl. work experience). the only reason there is an option to submit a CV is because they use the same portal for lateral hiring.
    Yes, there is an optional place to add a CV - would it be a bad idea just to include it though if we have an updated one, even if it is repetitive?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.