Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your response, I am a mature candidate with years of work experience and trainings so my CV doesn't have the same look as an individual that has just graduated.
You may want to put your work experience first then, but I could still include this academic detail. It’s very important, especially given the strong correlation between stronger academic results and passing the SQE.

If you are struggling with space, then focus your work experience to the most relevant/interesting jobs

Bubulubu

Standard Member
Jun 28, 2022

You may want to put your work experience first then, but I could still include this academic detail. It’s very important, especially given the strong correlation between stronger academic results and passing the SQE.

If you are struggling with space, then focus your work experience to the most relevant/interesting jobs
Thank you Jessica, I already completed my LPC years ago, I am attempting to reapply to firm I had sent my CV before, the old CV had my classification of my degree , GDL and LPC do I need to do a breakdown of every module I have ever had even If I have worked for over a decade is my question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica, I already completed my LPC years ago, I am attempting to reapply to firm I had sent my CV before, the old CV had my classification of my degree , GDL and LPC do I need to do a breakdown of every module I have ever had even If I have worked for over a decade is my question?
Not necessarily every module, but highlighting strengths in your academics beyond your overall grade is probably worthwhile, especially if you can tie what you learned to the career you are pursuing.

Your academics are still important - no amount of work experience will ever counter balance that completely. And if your career has been less “academic”, then it could be more important to them to see evidence of your intellect.

Bubulubu

Standard Member
Jun 28, 2022
Not necessarily every module, but highlighting strength in your academics beyond your overall grade is probably worthwhile, especially if you can tie what you learned to the career you are pursuing.

Thank you for your reply Jessica, I had STEM degree with an integrated masters, its been a bit hard to reconcile those courses to social sciences or arts based courses the profession generally sees as converters, other than stating I maintained my classification from the first year to the last year of my degree, its been challenging trying to put across how those types of modules and feed into commercial law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Social sciences often don’t correlate to law either.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way around - like it’s a hinderance. It’s really an opportunity to show your uniqueness.

Anabelle4567

Standard Member
Aug 6, 2022
TC offer at my dream firm. I was rejected at the final stage of the TC application process for another firm that I loved last cycle which was so disappointing. I couldn't have done this without the support and information provided by this forum! It's really true - keep going and you will get a TC at the firm that is absolutely right for you.

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
Hi Guys, anyone here had gone through a case study exercise before in Assessment day. I have one for Cripps and I am not sure if this is a group task or a individual task etc?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
TC offer at my dream firm. I was rejected at the final stage of the TC application process for another firm that I loved last cycle which was so disappointing. I couldn't have done this without the support and information provided by this forum! It's really true - keep going and you will get a TC at the firm that is absolutely right for you.
Amazing news - congratulations!

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , for answers that require the STAR framework, could you please tell me the proportion of each aspect of STAR? I have answers where it's just not possible to define the situation in a single sentence, and as a result, I have to go on for quite a bit when I narrate the situation. Is this fine? I know that the 'action' section should be the most detailed but I am just confused.

Secondly, when do we apply the STAR framework? Is it only for questions that begin with "Tell me about a time when you displayed?" or can it be applied to other questions as well?

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , for answers that require the STAR framework, could you please tell me the proportion of each aspect of STAR? I have answers where it's just not possible to define the situation in a single sentence, and as a result, I have to go on for quite a bit when I narrate the situation. Is this fine? I know that the 'action' section should be the most detailed but I am just confused.

Secondly, when do we apply the STAR framework? Is it only for questions that begin with "Tell me about a time when you displayed?" or can it be applied to other questions as well?

Thanks.
I generally feel the narration of the situation is rarely needed. You don’t need to detail the entire situation - just key details like when and where it was. The “T” should then explain the situations purpose.

To me the rough split should be 15/15/45/25 (percentage of the total answer here, not seconds) in the STAR format.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I generally feel the narration of the situation is rarely needed. You don’t need to detail the entire situation - just key details like when and where it was. The “T” should then explain the situations purpose.

To me the rough split should be 15/15/45/25 (percentage of the total answer here, not seconds) in the STAR format.
Thank you for your answer, Jessica. Just a follow-up question here, there is also a part called 'Reflection' wherein people reflect on their key learnings. Do you think it's neccessary for all answers or only where we think we have significant learnings?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your answer, Jessica. Just a follow-up question here, there is also a part called 'Reflection' wherein people reflect on their key learnings. Do you think it's neccessary for all answers or only where we think we have significant learnings?
A reflection isn’t just about a learning, it can also be about your own reflections on the situation - how you felt about it for instance. But yes I would try to include this detail in some format as it shows more about your character rather than just your abilities.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

serojasa

Standard Member
Oct 29, 2021
with regard to the white & case direct application - the section that asks "please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements." is separate from the covering letter

should i treat this as the area to put my "why me" section from my covering letter? or still include a why me section in the letter? seems like theres a lot of crossover and not sure what would be different between the two

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Does anyone know what Paul Hastings' strengths in the UK are? Keep seeing things about them being strong in funds work but Chambers/Legal 500 says otherwise.
    Check Chambers and Partners UK, Legal 500 and legal cheek if they have a profile on there and the lawyer. Also check their socials like twitter and linkedin. Hope that is helpful.

Reactions: laurabeaumont
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.