TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Yes I thought there had already been one, what's the thinking between two application windows for a firm with a small trainee intake?
    Tbh, recruitment is evolving at the firm. It has transitioned from HR led to hiring a new graduate recruitment manager, and so is changing. I don't know what the plans are for next cycle other than basing it off last year

• ℹ️
    Reactions: sxw517

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had a thought recently: do you think graduate recruitment do not take mitigating circumstances seriously anymore because most candidates who do not meet the grade threshold probably cite such reasons as the cause? Without a doubt, many candidates have mitigating circumstances... but I have a feeling a lot of candidates exploit this section. I wonder if recruiters can distinguish the real from the fake.
    It depends what the circumstances are in all honesty. Not all mitigating circumstances are the same.

Someone dealing with intense and long term chemotherapy is not the same as someone dealing with food poisoning

Someone dealing with a sudden and unexpected death of a partner or parent is not the same as dealing with the death of a distant elderly relative.

It also depends on the evidence you have got to support the mitigating circumstances. If you can show the circumstances led to a blip in performance, the circumstances are verified in a way. If you can’t show a blip, then the question is what will your true abilities be.

But in short, mitigating/extenuating circumstances are considered.

Reactions: al2020

Ruby98x

Aug 5, 2023
    Can anyone advise on preparing for competency interviews please? How do you recall all specific situations you have been involved in when starting from scratch? For your answers following the STAR structure does it have to be about a specific situation that happened in your various roles? It is really confusing to understand

gggg

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    hey guys!! General question: Im entering my final year of university and when applying for direct training contacts i keep seeing starting 2026- i am genuinely confused as to what i am meant to be doing during those 2 years besides completing the SQE. Does anyone know?

LJ

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    hey guys!! General question: Im entering my final year of university and when applying for direct training contacts i keep seeing starting 2026- i am genuinely confused as to what i am meant to be doing during those 2 years besides completing the SQE. Does anyone know?
    A lot of people will be applying in their second year of uni so would have their final year followed by the SQE year before starting.

You could have a gap year or some firms may allow you to bring your date forward if they have a need or someone else has deferred. If you are in your final year of uni and haven’t got much experience it may be better to apply for vacation schemes - most firms offer a higher % of TCs through VS.

Reactions: gggg

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Can anyone advise on preparing for competency interviews please? How do you recall all specific situations you have been involved in when starting from scratch? For your answers following the STAR structure does it have to be about a specific situation that happened in your various roles? It is really confusing to understand
    i followed this process when preparing for my competency interviews:
    1) searched for the competencies that the law firm is looking for.
    2) looked through my CV and matched up the competencies the law firm’s looking for with each of my experiences on my cv. E.g., I worked in retail, and would often serve customers. So I matched up interpersonal and communication skills with this experience.
    3) on flash cards, I wrote out each experience to demonstrate the competency using the STAR method, making sure I had at least two examples for each competency.
    4) I practiced using the flash cards until I know no longer needed to flash cards.

Tip - on the flash cards, you need to write in note form so that when doing the interview, you’re not reciting what you’ve written on the flash cards but rather, in the interview when asked to demonstrate X competency, you know what example you can bring up and explain to fully demonstrate that you possess the competency that they are looking for.

Hope this helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.