Status
Not open for further replies.

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Hi! Did anyone attend Clifford Chance's Impactful Applications session that was held recently? I somehow missed it, would be grateful for any key pointers if anyone has noted them down :)

the english lawyer

Aug 22, 2022
  • 🤝
Reactions: Aga123+ and born&raised

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Hi guys, what do we think are the generally relevant 'broad brush' commercial issues right now? I'm thinking oil and gas/energy prices, inflation/consumer appetite, economic downturn (e.g. production in China), tech stocks coming down.

This is all I can think of at the moment - is there anything else that people think is a 'everyone should know topic', e.g. like collapse of the high street and Brexit, COVID etc were? Avoiding war because I don't think it's something that would be mentioned in interview...

Hopefully this can be helpful for all of us preparing for ACs!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, what do we think are the generally relevant 'broad brush' commercial issues right now? I'm thinking oil and gas/energy prices, inflation/consumer appetite, economic downturn (e.g. production in China), tech stocks coming down.

This is all I can think of at the moment - is there anything else that people think is a 'everyone should know topic', e.g. like collapse of the high street and Brexit, COVID etc were? Avoiding war because I don't think it's something that would be mentioned in interview...

If you are applying to firms who focus on corporate/finance, then also consider ESG (including the growing measurement and transparency of it) and also how technology is impacting the financial sector - for instance cryptocurrencies and the like.

Regulation and it’s trends is also something to be aware of, especially with the new Tory cabinet really emphasising how they will deregulate a lot of things to make it easier to do business.

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
If you are applying to firms who focus on corporate/finance, then also consider ESG (including the growing measurement and transparency of it) and also how technology is impacting the financial sector - for instance cryptocurrencies and the like.

Regulation and it’s trends is also something to be aware of, especially with the new Tory cabinet really emphasising how they will deregulate a lot of things to make it easier to do business.
Ah I didn't think of regulation at all - thank you, Jessica! Prepping for a written exercise so want to have all the big topics for clients/firms down for the day

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021

Myanmar was bought up in my most recent interview... Don't ask, stumped me a bit.

But I suppose just read the headlines of a broadsheet paper and analyse how it could have ramifications for a law firm and the business they conduct..

The sharp decline of the pound and the resultant effect this would have upon imports/exports, something I saw in the FT recently.

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    Myanmar was bought up in my most recent interview... Don't ask, stumped me a bit.

But I suppose just read the headlines of a broadsheet paper and analyse how it could have ramifications for a law firm and the business they conduct..

The sharp decline of the pound and the resultant effect this would have upon imports/exports, something I saw in the FT recently.
    Oh wow, guess I'll be prepping conflict issues too haha

Thanks re the currency, that's a good one!

Reactions: sxw517
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.