Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just finished it. I'm a bit worried you've said 'the main statement is always changeable' - I didn't see this? There tended to be 2-3 questions per statement. Did the statement change slightly during the questions?

Also another quick question for anyone that did it - I actually had time left over at the end so was reviewing my answers. I was on the last page to submit but I technically 'timed out' and did not hit Submit at the end. Will my answers still be counted/logged? It changed to a window saying 'the test has now ended, you may close this window' or something similar.

@Jessica Booker ?
Yes, they will be logged given the message you received.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, Jessica. Could you please explain what you mean by "on hold" here. The vast majority of people on the forum who applied to Links haven't heard back. So, how does putting most people on hold work? What could possibly be going on? Thanks.
Literally means they are holding back from making a decision on your application until a time they need to. Could easily be while they see how other interviews go or because they need to confirm hiring numbers (and a whole other range of reasons).

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Hi guys,

I wanted to know how heavy Paul Hastings' emphasis is on academics? I have 3 Bs at A Level, and a First-Class degree at a non RG university. I have completed a mentorship scheme with them and attended an insight day, last year. I have also visited their office on two occasions. Should I still apply? I'd hate to put in all the work on an application, only for it to get tossed immediately because of my A levels.

Thanks!
    If it helps, I have one C at A-level and a first-class from a non-RG. I didn't do a mentorship scheme but did do one of their insight days, and I was progressed to an interview. So I don't think you need to worry. :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Inquisitive

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    Hi everyone, I d like to ask a question. As an international student, should I be focusing on putting out as many applications? My worry is if I apply to 5-10, I have to wait for another cycle and I do have visa limitations since I am graduating from my LLM this July.

Cambam15

Feb 4, 2023
    Hi everyone, I d like to ask a question. As an international student, should I be focusing on putting out as many applications? My worry is if I apply to 5-10, I have to wait for another cycle and I do have visa limitations since I am graduating from my LLM this July.
    I would suggest that apply to as many firms as possible because visa business is just hard.

glaine

Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2023
    I would worry about making sure you have at least one successful application by being selective and putting a lot of time into making contact with the firm and drafting the application. Graduate visas are costly if you are only going to be using it for a short period of time before a firm sponsors you, I'm in this boat myself atm, but the spray and pray application technique is known to be ineffective. Also, some firms will not be happy for your to reapply in the next cycle following an unsuccessful app.

Reactions: KLaw18

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    I would worry about making sure you have at least one successful application by being selective and putting a lot of time into making contact with the firm and drafting the application. Graduate visas are costly if you are only going to be using it for a short period of time before a firm sponsors you, I'm in this boat myself atm, but the spray and pray application technique is known to be ineffective. Also, some firms will not be happy for your to reapply in the next cycle following an unsuccessful app.
    Ah i see, thanks you for the advice! If lets say i cant secure a direct TC by this summer, what kind of jobs do you think i should be applying for apart from paralegal roles to maximise my chances of getting a TC?

glaine

Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2023
    Ah i see, thanks you for the advice! If lets say i cant secure a direct TC by this summer, what kind of jobs do you think i should be applying for apart from paralegal roles to maximise my chances of getting a TC?
    I personally can't speak to that, I'm still in the LLB and have about 3 years legal work experience by pure pandemic luck. This has included running a firm's website and web articles, researching for active litigation and drafting some basic documents. In all the TC related interviews I've done so far the firms were more concerned with the contact I had had with their firm leading up to applying, eg open days, and soft skills.

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    I personally can't speak to that, I'm still in the LLB and have about 3 years legal work experience by pure pandemic luck. This has included running a firm's website and web articles, researching for active litigation and drafting some basic documents. In all the TC related interviews I've done so far the firms were more concerned with the contact I had had with their firm leading up to applying, eg open days, and soft skills.
    Ah i see, does attending the firms virtual events count as having contact even though its not an open day?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.