TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    From experience of previous cycles, do Freshfields, Linklaters and Clifford Chance reopen applications for the TC later in the year? Anyone know when if yes? Aware their deadlines are early December for TC currently.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    From experience of previous cycles, do Freshfields, Linklaters and Clifford Chance reopen applications for the TC later in the year? Anyone know when if yes? Aware their deadlines are early December for TC currently.
    They all typically reopen for law students/graduates in the summer - usually late May to June/July.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    In Clifford Chance's TC application form it asks for details re any instances where you've not managed to convert to a TC following a vac scheme.

The question on the CC application is specifically worded this way —

If your answer to the above question was 'no' we would appreciate any detail you feel comfortable providing. Please write N/A if this is not applicable to you.​

Can anyone offer some guidance on how I should approach answering this? I really don't want my whole application to be seen in a bad light just because I failed to convert / did not word my response to this question properly. Also, I think I would much rather disclose the fact that I've failed to convert to a TC following a vac scheme rather than try to hide it at this stage, but I just want to word it well to show that I've improved as a candidate since that rejection.

For context, I failed to convert because the scheme I was on (as far as I'm aware) was mostly un-assessed and I screwed up the final interview and written exercise. For the interview, the feedback I got was I wasn't listening to the interviewers carefully enough and I wasn't answering their questions. Same with the written exercise — I think I misread the question and ended up missing the point and my response didn't really answer the question.

I've had success with winter vac scheme interviews and written exercises since then, so I think that's a good indicator that I've definitely improved in my interview technique/verbal communication skills and attention to detail when it comes to written exercises. But I'm not sure if it's appropriate to list having success with vac scheme assessments since the TC rejection as evidence that I've improved as a candidate. I remember speaking to an interviewer (interviewer was grad rec) about my TC rejection at a winter vac scheme interview I had recently and she actually noted that it's good that I have shown resilience in continuing to apply for winter vac schemes despite this setback last summer, that I chose not to take criticism personally and that I took ownership of the mistakes I made instead of blaming it on external factors - so I suppose in my response I could mention smth along the lines of my attitude towards feedback, utilising feedback to improve myself and remaining resilient?

Should I, instead, include other examples of how I've shown proactiveness in growing in my verbal communication skills and attention to detail since I got the feedback? Also, how long should my response to this question be (there is no word limit)?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated - especially if you've had to communicate this in a direct TC application before and had success with progressing to AC!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    In Clifford Chance's TC application it asks "In no more than 250 words, what are your motivations for applying to Clifford Chance?" Could anyone give some guidance? Should I focus on just why exactly Clifford Chance or also include my motivations for going into commercial law in general? Struggling a bit to wrap my head around how to answer it and would really appreciate any advice.
    Hi @cls33, I'd stick to focusing on your motivations for working at Clifford Chance. Something along the lines of what do you like about the firm ➡️ how do you know you like it (from an open day, webinar, research etc.)➡️ why is this important to you. Repeat this for 2-3 points of motivation. Does that help?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    In Clifford Chance's TC application form it asks for details re any instances where you've not managed to convert to a TC following a vac scheme.

The question on the CC application is specifically worded this way —

If your answer to the above question was 'no' we would appreciate any detail you feel comfortable providing. Please write N/A if this is not applicable to you.​

Can anyone offer some guidance on how I should approach answering this? I really don't want my whole application to be seen in a bad light just because I failed to convert / did not word my response to this question properly. Also, I think I would much rather disclose the fact that I've failed to convert to a TC following a vac scheme rather than try to hide it at this stage, but I just want to word it well to show that I've improved as a candidate since that rejection.

For context, I failed to convert because the scheme I was on (as far as I'm aware) was mostly un-assessed and I screwed up the final interview and written exercise. For the interview, the feedback I got was I wasn't listening to the interviewers carefully enough and I wasn't answering their questions. Same with the written exercise — I think I misread the question and ended up missing the point and my response didn't really answer the question.

I've had success with winter vac scheme interviews and written exercises since then, so I think that's a good indicator that I've definitely improved in my interview technique/verbal communication skills and attention to detail when it comes to written exercises. But I'm not sure if it's appropriate to list having success with vac scheme assessments since the TC rejection as evidence that I've improved as a candidate. I remember speaking to an interviewer (interviewer was grad rec) about my TC rejection at a winter vac scheme interview I had recently and she actually noted that it's good that I have shown resilience in continuing to apply for winter vac schemes despite this setback last summer, that I chose not to take criticism personally and that I took ownership of the mistakes I made instead of blaming it on external factors - so I suppose in my response I could mention smth along the lines of my attitude towards feedback, utilising feedback to improve myself and remaining resilient?

Should I, instead, include other examples of how I've shown proactiveness in growing in my verbal communication skills and attention to detail since I got the feedback? Also, how long should my response to this question be (there is no word limit)?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated - especially if you've had to communicate this in a direct TC application before and had success with progressing to AC!
    So you have some options here- either you don't provide any detail, provide some detail or go into a proper analysis of what worked and didn't the last time you did a vac scheme and how you've tried to improve on the aspects that were flagged to you. There is a tactful way to write this answer that ensures that your application is by no means jeopardised and I would highly recommend getting your answer reviewed by someone so that you can rest assured that you message is being converted in the way you're intending.

I would focus on the feedback you received + what you personally think didn't work and then go into the steps you've taken and feedback you've received following this experience that shows you've made improvements.

I'd cap the answer to about 200 words.

Reactions: average_jo123

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I requested feedback from two direct TC interviews that I had over the summer and never recieved it.. do you think its too late to ask for it again?
    This is strange, you ideally should have received this feedback and no, it's not too late to ask. I think it's best to get a second opinion here so am tagging @Jessica Booker as I'm not a 100% sure!

Reactions: Rachael.Elisa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is strange, you ideally should have received this feedback and no, it's not too late to ask. I think it's best to get a second opinion here so am tagging @Jessica Booker as I'm not a 100% sure!
    Yes - agree that you can still ask for feedback.

Feedback is a time-consuming process and something that can easily fall by the wayside unfortunately (I have experienced this a lot), so you can often request it and someone doesn't come back immediately. There is no harm in chasing up and explaining receiving the feedback will help you with upcoming assessments/interviews you have.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Rachael.Elisa and AvniD

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    Hi everyone, I am wondering what the general hiring timeline would look like for Freshfield's direct TC (Spring 2024). Specifically, for the AC and final hiring decision. I have been invited to their Graduate Workshop so I think I have a good chance of receiving a WG test (crossed fingers!). Thanks!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am wondering what the general hiring timeline would look like for Freshfield's direct TC (Spring 2024). Specifically, for the AC and final hiring decision. I have been invited to their Graduate Workshop so I think I have a good chance of receiving a WG test (crossed fingers!). Thanks!!
    I'd say about 8-12 weeks typically from application to offer. It can be quicker but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around this time.

Reactions: futuretrainee202X
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.