TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Is it just me or is there nowhere to put GCSEs or GDL results in Freshfields application? And is the Postgraduate certificate in laws the same thing as the PGDL?
They actually ask that you put it where you put the degree details (same section, they ask it in the description) - at the app workshop they said you need to put them in but like they don’t use them as a standard for review

Reactions: B A

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    Hi, I had two questions about the Clifford Chance Application. Can I refer to Clifford Chance as "CC" in the application or should I stick to the full form throughout? Also, for the "Motivations for applying to Clifford Chance?" answer, is it fine if one prong of my answer is regarding their diversity initiatives? I know it is recommended to stick to work-related aspects but diversity is a major reason why I am applying to CC and I have a lot to highlight there, so I was wondering if that would be fine? Or should I just give two work-related motivations?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I had two questions about the Clifford Chance Application. Can I refer to Clifford Chance as "CC" in the application or should I stick to the full form throughout? Also, for the "Motivations for applying to Clifford Chance?" answer, is it fine if one prong of my answer is regarding their diversity initiatives? I know it is recommended to stick to work-related aspects but diversity is a major reason why I am applying to CC and I have a lot to highlight there, so I was wondering if that would be fine? Or should I just give two work-related motivations?
    I'd personally suggest keeping it to the full name as its not like the firm uses the abbreviation/acronym and it isn't shortened in things like its Chambers Student Guide profile.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you mention the Clifford Chance Global Virtual Internship in your application, does Clifford Chance check the work submitted there? And do they confirm that you've completed the internship? [I did the internship from a different email account than the one I am applying through, so I was unsure if the firm would look into this]
    Possibly, but thats a lot of work to do when reviewing one application, so I feel it is unlikely at an application stage. Might check it after an interview. They will check by name if they do.

Reactions: traineesolicitor123

—————-

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    At Skadden during either the vacation scheme or training contract, how does one get work, do you have to cold-email partners and knock on their doors to get work or are you placed in an office with a partner and associate and learn by osmosis and close relationship?

aniraz

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Graduate recruitment said not to shorten it.

MA98

Oct 17, 2022
    Hi! I submitted my application for CC a few days ago, but don't remember any space for adding references. Was it there in the form? Also, I did submit the academic transcripts!
    Hey - thanks for your reply. They have a section called "Additional Documents" where it states "You can attach files to the candidate record (e.g. cover letter, resume/ CV, references, transcripts, etc.)".

But on the firm website (https://opportunities.cliffordchance.com/jobs/training-contract-middle-east-5809) they state that CVs and cover letters will NOT be reviewed. I'm just unsure if the same applies to transcripts and references.....

Reactions: superposition34

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.