Status
Not open for further replies.

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Is it just me or is there nowhere to put GCSEs or GDL results in Freshfields application? And is the Postgraduate certificate in laws the same thing as the PGDL?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it just me or is there nowhere to put GCSEs or GDL results in Freshfields application? And is the Postgraduate certificate in laws the same thing as the PGDL?
The postgraduate certificate in law will be the GDL. They don't request GCSE information.

Reactions: B A

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
They actually ask that you put it where you put the degree details (same section, they ask it in the description) - at the app workshop they said you need to put them in but like they don’t use them as a standard for review

Reactions: B A

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    Hi, I had two questions about the Clifford Chance Application. Can I refer to Clifford Chance as "CC" in the application or should I stick to the full form throughout? Also, for the "Motivations for applying to Clifford Chance?" answer, is it fine if one prong of my answer is regarding their diversity initiatives? I know it is recommended to stick to work-related aspects but diversity is a major reason why I am applying to CC and I have a lot to highlight there, so I was wondering if that would be fine? Or should I just give two work-related motivations?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I had two questions about the Clifford Chance Application. Can I refer to Clifford Chance as "CC" in the application or should I stick to the full form throughout? Also, for the "Motivations for applying to Clifford Chance?" answer, is it fine if one prong of my answer is regarding their diversity initiatives? I know it is recommended to stick to work-related aspects but diversity is a major reason why I am applying to CC and I have a lot to highlight there, so I was wondering if that would be fine? Or should I just give two work-related motivations?
    I'd personally suggest keeping it to the full name as its not like the firm uses the abbreviation/acronym and it isn't shortened in things like its Chambers Student Guide profile.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you mention the Clifford Chance Global Virtual Internship in your application, does Clifford Chance check the work submitted there? And do they confirm that you've completed the internship? [I did the internship from a different email account than the one I am applying through, so I was unsure if the firm would look into this]
    Possibly, but thats a lot of work to do when reviewing one application, so I feel it is unlikely at an application stage. Might check it after an interview. They will check by name if they do.

Reactions: traineesolicitor123

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    At Skadden during either the vacation scheme or training contract, how does one get work, do you have to cold-email partners and knock on their doors to get work or are you placed in an office with a partner and associate and learn by osmosis and close relationship?

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Graduate recruitment said not to shorten it.

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Graduate recruitment said not to shorten it.
    Hi @Jessica Booker - this information is in relation to Clifford Chance. Despite what graduate recruitment has said, how much does it matter if we use the firm name at the beginning and then abbreviate as CC throughout? i.e. "Clifford Chance ('CC') is..."

I'm close to submitting my application but just came across this and will need to review word count if it's better to use "Clifford Chance" throughout.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker - this information is in relation to Clifford Chance. Despite what graduate recruitment has said, how much does it matter if we use the firm name at the beginning and then abbreviate as CC throughout? i.e. "Clifford Chance ('CC') is..."

I'm close to submitting my application but just came across this and will need to review word count if it's better to use "Clifford Chance" throughout.
    If the firm has said not to shorten it, then I wouldn't at all.

Decisions on applications often come down to fine margins, and this is one that you can control.

This thread/post may help you with where to save words elsewhere in your application:

How to get your applications within their word limits | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

Reactions: aniraz and Adrian_S

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is anyone able to share the questions for A&O application?
    Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? Max 250 words

Please identify an existing market development or future trend that will likely affect A&O clients and describe how this could provide the Firm with new opportunities to support its clients. (300 words)

Reactions: bibss

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? Max 250 words

Please identify an existing market development or future trend that will likely affect A&O clients and describe how this could provide the Firm with new opportunities to support its clients. (300 words)
    Thank you Jessica

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.