TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hi, I was sent the test Thursday before last and I submitted my application well before the deadline around late Feb. Just wondering if Bakers send out results before the VI.
Ahh I see. Did you receive an email about they will send you a test in a few days. How long is the period between the first email and the actual test being sent to your email inbox?

Turnthisstupidfatratyellow

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2021
Every single WG I’ve done has let me go back and check my answers a part from baker McKenzie and now I’m stressed because I did it in20 minutes left 10 minutes for checking but couldn’t use it. Is this going to penalise me or will they recognise I did it quickly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hellooooo! Does anyone know if timing matters for WG tests? I always finish them in 15 mins and don’t know if it’s best to submit or review
Finishing early is unlikely to be factored in, or if it is is likely to have a very small impact compared to getting the questions right

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Every single WG I’ve done has let me go back and check my answers a part from baker McKenzie and now I’m stressed because I did it in20 minutes left 10 minutes for checking but couldn’t use it. Is this going to penalise me or will they recognise I did it quickly
It won’t penalise you for finishing early.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
If you have a TC secured and the SQE is fully funded by your company, do you get put into a special SQE class with just your trainee intake from your firm? And would the start/end dates of your course be specific to your firm?

It seems that the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) is just over 13 months and runs Sep - Nov. But the firm describes it as being August to August. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
I’m in the same position and I have to say - a lot of firms seem to be really lacking in the amount of information given out to sqe trainees. I get that it is their first time, but the organisation is really distressing. The conflicting timelines also don’t make any sense and no one seems to be really calming any concerns about how bad the pass marks are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m in the same position and I have to say - a lot of firms seem to be really lacking in the amount of information given out to sqe trainees. I get that it is their first time, but the organisation is really distressing. The conflicting timelines also don’t make any sense and no one seems to be really calming any concerns about how bad the pass marks are.
Things are changing - in many ways it’s better to give our vaguer information rather than being tied to information that will only change. I know it is frustrating, but firms feel the same about this - there is a lot of information they are not getting either.

The pass marka between the LPC and SQE1 are not dissimilar (mid 50% mark), it’s just this is getting more attention where more future trainees are not passing, unlike the LPC where they had a much higher pass rate on bespoke/sponsored courses.

Reactions: newtothis

M0M007

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2023
Wait you couldnt go back to ur previous answers to check? thats scary :(.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Do people reckon it's a PFO from Bakers if we haven't received an update on whether we made it through to the WG? The VIs are supposed to be happening in March and April (per the email we got after applying) and April is half-way through...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.