TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

louanna

Standard Member
Mar 26, 2023
Sorry if this has been asked before but should I list every single module studied at undergraduate level in on my application forms?

I had bi-annual exams so I did around 48 modules over 4 years which seems excessive to list. Certain core subjects were broken up over two semesters and I got different grades in both e.g. Tort 1 I got an A- and in second semester Tort 2 I got a B.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry if this has been asked before but should I list every single module studied at undergraduate level in on my application forms?

I had bi-annual exams so I did around 48 modules over 4 years which seems excessive to list. Certain core subjects were broken up over two semesters and I got different grades in both e.g. Tort 1 I got an A- and in second semester Tort 2 I got a B.
Did you receive overall module grades (rather than the exams) or were the modules only assessed in the half year format, and grades in this way? If the latter, then unfortunately you would need to complete all grades, even if there is a lot of them.

lila12

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2022
hey guys doing an app now and one of the application question's is - Provide an example of a change in society, the economy, or in a market sector which interests you and which you think could impact the legal sector. Discuss the impact it has had or could have? (350 words)

These are some examples

• Shift from fossil fuels to renewables
• Chat GPT

Which of these examples do you think is a good example to use? thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey guys doing an app now and one of the application question's is - Provide an example of a change in society, the economy, or in a market sector which interests you and which you think could impact the legal sector. Discuss the impact it has had or could have? (350 words)

These are some examples

• Chat GPT

I’d suggest finding a smaller or more specific story within either of these topics. So rather than Chat GPT generally, how is it being used in one particular industry? Or is there a specific type of renewable energy you could focus on? Being more specific is likely to make your application more unique (both topics will be popular among many applicants).

But the answer should always be pick the topic that interests you the most if you are ever unsure which one to go with.

Reactions: newtothis

louanna

Standard Member
Mar 26, 2023
Did you receive overall module grades (rather than the exams) or were the modules only assessed in the half year format, and grades in this way? If the latter, then unfortunately you would need to complete all grades, even if there is a lot of them.
Thanks Jessica for your reply. Unfortunately, we didn't receive overall module grades and they were the modules only assessed in the half year format (you could technically only decide to the first half of the module if you wanted). I have no problem listing them all but from an aesthetic point of view it doesn't look great especially on a CV application form which asks to list all grades and when module titles are listed as 'Tort 1 - Negligence' and 'Tort - Other Related Matters'.

Can I also ask if elective 'non-law' subjects should be listed if these were part of my course such as 'Intro to Psychology'?

Noodles

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023

These are some examples

• Chat GPT

The ChatGPT response, interestingly:

One change that has been gaining traction in recent years is the rise of decentralized finance (DeFi). DeFi is a financial system built on blockchain technology, where financial transactions are executed in a decentralized manner, without intermediaries like banks or financial institutions.

DeFi has the potential to disrupt the traditional financial system, as it offers various advantages over traditional finance, such as lower transaction costs, increased transparency, and accessibility to a broader range of financial services. As DeFi gains more mainstream adoption, it is likely to have a significant impact on the legal sector.

One potential impact of DeFi on the legal sector is the need for new regulatory frameworks. DeFi operates in a decentralized and global environment, which makes it difficult for traditional regulatory bodies to enforce regulations. Therefore, new legal frameworks will be required to govern DeFi activities and ensure that they comply with legal and regulatory requirements.

Another potential impact of DeFi on the legal sector is the need for smart contracts. Smart contracts are self-executing contracts that are programmed to execute automatically when specific conditions are met. DeFi relies heavily on smart contracts to execute financial transactions, which means that there will be a growing demand for lawyers who can draft and interpret smart contracts.

Additionally, the rise of DeFi could also lead to an increase in litigation. Since DeFi operates on a decentralized network, it can be challenging to identify and hold accountable those responsible for fraudulent activities or breaches of contracts. Therefore, there may be an increase in disputes that require legal intervention.

Finally, DeFi could also impact traditional financial institutions' legal practices. As DeFi grows in popularity, traditional financial institutions may start to lose market share, which could lead to a decrease in legal work related to traditional finance.

In conclusion, the rise of DeFi is an example of a significant change in society and the economy that has the potential to impact the legal sector. As DeFi continues to gain traction and adoption, new legal frameworks and legal practices will need to be developed to ensure that it operates within legal and regulatory requirements.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.