Status
Not open for further replies.

lawyering

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
Is it possible to have assessment centres online if you are working abroad?
I think it depends on the firm - some are fine with it, some do a flexible approach, some will just say no.

if you are already in a process, worth asking them now. If you haven’t applied yet (eg direct TC) and you know you’ll be abroad at the time of ACs, worth checking beforehand as some firms are really strict about this and you don’t want to have wasted an application

Reactions: Untilwinter

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
What are
It is a possibility - it’s worthwhile checking with the firm if invited to that stage or whether they would cover your travel/accommodation if they need to do it in person.
I am trying to plan what I am going to do upon graduation this summer in terms of living expenses, visa, and career stuff. I didn't secure any TC or vac scheme this cycle and I want to have a go at another application cycle but unsure how that's going to roll out.

I am an international student, so I am thinking about moving back to my country where I can do paralegal work and save money instead of spending on London housing. Or I might stay in London and maybe work if I am lucky and just write apps for the winter since they say apps are a basically a full time job.

How do most graduates apply? I know loads of trainees have done paralegal work before but how do they manage to write apps, go to interviews?

Also, what are timelines for tc apps that are due in summer like? Do most people get results by late August or early September?

Sorry if this is too much😅

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a small question here please. Do firms cover all expenses for ACs or do they cover a small portion like they do for open days? Thanks.
Depends on the total costs and the firm’s policy. Capping it at somewhere between £100-300 is common.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are

I am trying to plan what I am going to do upon graduation this summer in terms of living expenses, visa, and career stuff. I didn't secure any TC or vac scheme this cycle and I want to have a go at another application cycle but unsure how that's going to roll out.

I am an international student, so I am thinking about moving back to my country where I can do paralegal work and save money instead of spending on London housing. Or I might stay in London and maybe work if I am lucky and just write apps for the winter since they say apps are a basically a full time job.

How do most graduates apply? I know loads of trainees have done paralegal work before but how do they manage to write apps, go to interviews?

Also, what are timelines for tc apps that are due in summer like? Do most people get results by late August or early September?

Plenty of people manage applications alongside full time work. It’s not easy - but plenty of people do it - I am sure many of our members will be able to explain their strategy. But generally I think they become 1) selective (eg fewer applications); 2) make sure the opportunities are the rights ones for them (eg VS versus TC applications - working out whether you can do any vacation scheme a first of all can help focus your application strategy) and 3) play the long game - set the strategy out over many months/a full academic year rather than just focusing on immediate deadlines. Spreading the load can help.

Generally timelines are - applications are open between May and July.

Interviews take place July through to September and finish ahead of the next cycle starting in October.

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Is it possible to have assessment centres online if you are working abroad?
    Yes, lots are very flexible about conducting the AC online. But send the firm an email before you decide to apply to them, and ask if they are open to virtual ACs - some firms have moved towards an exclusively offline model now and it's better to know this before you spend time writing an application!

Reactions: Untilwinter

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    What are

I didn’t get my TC until I was in full time work. And I think my applications got better once I was working and gained experience. And I worked long hours as a paralegal (around 10 hours a day). It’s definitely do-able. Honestly the fact that I could spend less time on apps probably made my apps better as I didn’t overthink them or get ‘writers block’.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.