TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Hi, quick question for @Jessica Booker

Do you know how much weight top UK / MC firms typically place on individual university module results? I got a 1st overall in a non-law degree from a top (European, non UK) university, but I have some individual module grades which are 2.2/3rd. In Europe we use the ECTS system which means some modules have different weightings, and my 3rds/2.2s are all in very low credit modules, but I'm conscious this doesn't come across when you look at them listed out uniformly. I do have some mitigating circumstances for them too, but I am starting to wonder if they are holding me back / am I wasting time with some firms?

Thought I would note also I am a career changer who graduated about 7 years ago - would this mean uni modules still looked at closely?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, quick question for @Jessica Booker

Do you know how much weight top UK / MC firms typically place on individual university module results? I got a 1st overall in a non-law degree from a top (European, non UK) university, but I have some individual module grades which are 2.2/3rd. In Europe we use the ECTS system which means some modules have different weightings, and my 3rds/2.2s are all in very low credit modules, but I'm conscious this doesn't come across when you look at them listed out uniformly. I do have some mitigating circumstances for them too, but I am starting to wonder if they are holding me back / am I wasting time with some firms?

Thought I would note also I am a career changer who graduated about 7 years ago - would this mean uni modules still looked at closely?
This will vary massively from firm to firm.

If they are occasional modules and a small percentage of each year, then I don’t think the occasional 2.2 is an issue. If more of them are the equivalent of thirds then this might be more of an issue.

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    If you are going to link back this question to FF work then I'd be super careful that you (1) ensure you refer to a specific case where commercial awareness was definitely one of the skills that led to success and identify specifically which part of the commercial world that needed to be aware of and (2) that you fully understand the case study you are referring to as they may want to ask about it in depth in an interview which you need to be prepared for (especially if the interviewer is in the department you are talking about!).
    Hi Laura, thanks for the advice! :)

I just wanted to get your thoughts on something. I'm quite conscious of the fact that getting intricate details on specific firm deals can often be a bit of a Hail Mary (unless you have resources, then please suggest! :)). As an alternative to what you proposed, I was thinking about maybe name dropping one of the London office's more high profile partners and explaining how their commercial awareness has made them exceptionally successful (with tangible examples)

Please let me know if you think this is something even worth pursuing (or if I'm overcomplicating things). I welcome any and all advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Laura, thanks for the advice! :)

I just wanted to get your thoughts on something. I'm quite conscious of the fact that getting intricate details on specific firm deals can often be a bit of a Hail Mary (unless you have resources, then please suggest! :)). As an alternative to what you proposed, I was thinking about maybe name dropping one of the London office's more high profile partners and explaining how their commercial awareness has made them exceptionally successful (with tangible examples)

Please let me know if you think this is something even worth pursuing (or if I'm overcomplicating things). I welcome any and all advice!
    I am not convinced this is the right approach. Name dropping doesn’t create good answers to this question - it is not what this question is expecting of you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.