TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi Laura, thanks for the advice! :)

I just wanted to get your thoughts on something. I'm quite conscious of the fact that getting intricate details on specific firm deals can often be a bit of a Hail Mary (unless you have resources, then please suggest! :)). As an alternative to what you proposed, I was thinking about maybe name dropping one of the London office's more high profile partners and explaining how their commercial awareness has made them exceptionally successful (with tangible examples)

Please let me know if you think this is something even worth pursuing (or if I'm overcomplicating things). I welcome any and all advice!
    I don't think the question is not asking you why commercial awareness makes a good lawyer at FF – IMO, if they wanted to ask you that they would have. I think you're overthinking this. In my view, what the question is really asking you is: what role does commercial awareness plays in the context of legal practice (ie, why is commercially aware important for a lawyer). There's no one universal right way to answer this question.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Whilst still waiting for the outcome, how did everyone find Bakers AC for direct TC?
    Just wanna hear and talk about the experience to ease the nerve
    I thought it was really friendly and relaxed, but the group exercise sucked. My group didnt get through the 25 pages they gave us to read in 15 mins so we scrambled a lot to figure out what was happening. The interviews were fine

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I thought it was really friendly and relaxed, but the group exercise sucked. My group didnt get through the 25 pages they gave us to read in 15 mins so we scrambled a lot to figure out what was happening. The interviews were fine
    I wouldn’t expect any team to read though 25 pages in that timeframe - although the trick would probably be the break it down into sections if you had the ability to discuss that before reading (a lot of exercises don’t allow you to speak before the reading time though).

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    I wouldn’t expect any team to read though 25 pages in that timeframe - although the trick would probably be the break it down into sections if you had the ability to discuss that before reading (a lot of exercises don’t allow you to speak before the reading time though).
    We didnt, we werent allowed to talk I believe, just read for 15 mins then discuss for 40 and present for 5. It was very scrambled and rushed

M0M007

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2023
    Hello, does anyone know if its worth applying to Eversheds direct TC? Because they hire mostly from VS. Does anyone know of any instances where someone got an AC through the direct TC route? Please Let me know it ll be very helpful!

CallumJR

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    Hello, does anyone know if its worth applying to Eversheds direct TC? Because they hire mostly from VS. Does anyone know of any instances where someone got an AC through the direct TC route? Please Let me know it ll be very helpful!
    I have applied twice to them for direct TC and they did not look at TC apps because they filled all their places from VS.
    Will not apply again to them.

Reactions: newtothis

M0M007

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2023
    Nerve-racking, but super laid-back and friendly. The partner and associate interviews were weirdly chilled and they clearly wanted it as conversational as possible - my associate interview was just 45 mins of him cracking jokes and interrupting every answer I gave, so it really caught me off guard and made it hard. Group exercise was fine, lots of strong presences but we all interacted really well. Just wish they hadn't said that we would hear by Friday 9th though, makes the waiting even worse.
    Hey just curious, I didnt do the AC but were the commercial questions hard? What were they like?

jrb_law48

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 3, 2022
    Hey just curious, I didnt do the AC but were the commercial questions hard? What were they like?

I only got one. My interviewer had 2 options of commercial qs. on his laptop, and he laughed and said 'this one about legal tech is way too easy, I'm going to ask you the other one'. He asked me 'how does politics affect business?'

Reactions: M0M007

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    We didnt, we werent allowed to talk I believe, just read for 15 mins then discuss for 40 and present for 5. It was very scrambled and rushed
    Exercises are typically designed to be incredibly tight on time - I wouldn’t worry about that, it’s very normal and many groups won’t “complete” the exercise or may rush over certain parts of it.

Reactions: spamelinazoid
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.