TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi - I am currently completing my application for Fried Frank. Questions do not include the maximum wording; what is a good length ? I was thinking about 450-500 ? Thanks!
    The going rate on many applications is 250-300 words, so personally I would try and make answers as succinct as possible really, as being concise and not verbose is often better!

But, someone that has completed an application for Fried Frank before and progressed may have a better insight.

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    The going rate on many applications is 250-300 words, so personally I would try and make answers as succinct as possible really, as being concise and not verbose is often better!

But, someone that has completed an application for Fried Frank before and progressed may have a better insight.
    Thanks for the advice :)!

I worked on the application and I agree, 450-500 is actually lengthy!

• 🤝
    Reactions: sxw517

kmo20

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2023
    Hi, does anyone have any advice for applying to Slaughter & May and Freshfields for the direct TC if I haven’t had a vacation scheme? Is it worth applying or will this greatly reduce my chances? Thank you :)

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Hi Laura, thanks for the advice! :)

I just wanted to get your thoughts on something. I'm quite conscious of the fact that getting intricate details on specific firm deals can often be a bit of a Hail Mary (unless you have resources, then please suggest! :)). As an alternative to what you proposed, I was thinking about maybe name dropping one of the London office's more high profile partners and explaining how their commercial awareness has made them exceptionally successful (with tangible examples)

Please let me know if you think this is something even worth pursuing (or if I'm overcomplicating things). I welcome any and all advice!

Hi @CorporateCrocodile,

Typically the most in-depth details you can get on law firm deals as applicants are via news channels such as FT or The Lawyer (which unless you specifically have subscriptions via university library channels etc can also be difficult to access).

It is a little bit of a Hail Mary, I agree, but not impossible to find unique facts about firms. I've never heard of specific partners' names being used and would perhaps advise against this (@Jessica Booker any thoughts?). Instead, focus on what you can find on the law firm's website (this is as much information on deals as they would expect). I would think about more holistic commercial concepts than zeroing in on very specific facts because the firm may expect more knowledge on the matter at the interview than you are able to offer.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Hi, does anyone have any advice for applying to Slaughter & May and Freshfields for the direct TC if I haven’t had a vacation scheme? Is it worth applying or will this greatly reduce my chances? Thank you :)
    Hi!

I have had friends who have succeeded in direct TC applications at both those firms without a vacation scheme! Definitely not impossible and worth applying if you feel your application/s is/are ready :)

Laura

Reactions: Maham and kmo20
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.