TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Not everyone who got an offer has TCLA, or posts about it, so it could be much more than 3. Also, at my AC, grad recruit said they’ve already given out TC offers to the spring vac schemers. I don’t want to be negative for no reason, but being realistic, I do think there’s a very high chance that they did gave out the offers in one batch yesterday. I really do hope I’m wrong though
    yeah the spring schemers got theirs over a month ago

Idk, seems strange to run 5 ACs with 8-12 people each with only few people mentioning a TC offer but maybe I’m too optimistic

Reactions: jrb_law48

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not everyone who got an offer has TCLA, or posts about it, so it could be much more than 3. Also, at my AC, grad recruit said they’ve already given out TC offers to the spring vac schemers. I don’t want to be negative for no reason, but being realistic, I do think there’s a very high chance that they did gave out the offers in one batch yesterday. I really do hope I’m wrong though
    initial offers maybe, there could be more to come, especially if people turn offers down.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Realistically, how long should you wait before emailing the BM grad recruit and asking for a follow-up after the AC? They told most people on the direct TC AC that we would hear back last Monday.
    The told my group Friday the 9th, so not even Monday haha

I’m curious too since I normally dont bother Grad Rec but a few people got TC offers already…

CallumJR

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    Messed up a TC interview today bc I didnt prep enough for various commercial questions.

My advice:
    - Always prep at least 2 commercial news stories to talk about
    - prep one "non"-commercial news story you are genuinly interested in
    - prep issues / challenges affecting the firm / law firms
    - prep issues / challenges affecting the firm's clients

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    anyone know how many ACs greenberg traurig runs?

Messed up a TC interview today bc I didnt prep enough for various commercial questions.

My advice:
    hey! thank you for this - it's really kind of you to share. I was wondering which firm this was with today?

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020

My advice:
    I think this is good advice.

If I may add, in terms of prep, it may be helpful to approach workshopping a commercial new story less as something you front load right before an interview, and instead something that you are continually revising. While this requires applicants to engage with commercial developments more regularly, when you start to speak about a particular story, you will have more to talk about.

For instance, interest rate movements have made for a perennial source of content to bring to an interview. Many commentators were of the opinion things had stabilised and that we might be reaching an end to rate rises until last month's inflation data revealed that inflation was still quite persistent, sparking another rate rise and making things more uncertain. You can then tailor your discussion of the relevance/impact to your the law firm you're interviewing with.

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 23, 2020
    hi everyone

I've been told to prepare for the lifecycle of a private equity deal before my vacation scheme starts. Does anyone have any resources for this (e.g., in preparing for an intervie) or could point me to a direction?

Thanks

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    makes me wonder if they've waitlisted some people for until after the vac scheme...

not sure when is appropriate to follow up. it's been 2 weeks exactly since my AC
    If its 2 weeks i think its a good time to follow up.

I def think they have waitlisted quite a few ppl since not everyone on the vac scheme are gonna get the offer & accept them. They are taking in 40 trainees and have 30 ppl over the two vac schemes. I am guessing some ppl who got the spring offer have not accepted theirs yet.

aspiringlawyerr

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 7, 2022
    hi everyone

I've been told to prepare for the lifecycle of a private equity deal before my vacation scheme starts. Does anyone have any resources for this (e.g., in preparing for an intervie) or could point me to a direction?

Thanks
    TCLA has some really useful resources on this / similar topics.

I’m not sure if you have access as a premium member? But might be worth upgrading your subscription for a month to go through them before your vac scheme. 😊

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    If its 2 weeks i think its a good time to follow up.

I def think they have waitlisted quite a few ppl since not everyone on the vac scheme are gonna get the offer & accept them. They are taking in 40 trainees and have 30 ppl over the two vac schemes. I am guessing some ppl who got the spring offer have not accepted theirs yet.
    I dont think *overwhelminly most* people on the vac scheme got offers either, which is why I think there's bound to be more people from direct TCs, especially since they increased the number of trainees this year. I spoke to a 1st seater from bakers a while back who said her cohort for direct TCs recruited over 5 people, was closer to 10.

To me makes sense they'll do a 10-10-10 with wiggle room or 15-15-10 for the 2 vac schemes and direct tc...otherwise it seeems bizarre to invite ~50 people across 5 ACs just to hand out a few TCs

Last edited:

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    hi everyone

Thanks
    Yep, TCLA has some good resources on pe. There are also a number of articles which are helpful:

Also, this (free) course discusses the lifecycle of a deal: https://www.coursera.org/learn/private-equity

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.